• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training....

RN48

Meeting neighbors
Hey

So I've seen lots of people using clickers for training but what about things like a sports whistle? Are they responsive to whistles like that or should I avoid it as whistling is something they do for fun?

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Honestly the reason the clickers work is because they come with clear instructions on how/when to click and reward. :)

I used the word "GOOD". You could snap, clap yay, whoo whoo, or play a tambourine for all they care. Just make it fun. Lol

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
My guys didn’t do well with clickers. Sherbie thought they were sexy, while Rupert thought they were scary. So I just have to be quick with the praise, or click with my tongue, and I tend to keep it on the quieter side so I don’t spook him.

The clicker is literally just used to mark the movement/action that you're wanting to encourage.

RN48

Meeting neighbors
Thank you all so much for your responses and @Peachfaced i agree with you on the clicker, one of mine finds it scary and flies away even when I'm trying to reward and the other looks at me like I've lost the plot with the face of " da heck*"

@Macawnutz we go more excited and shower them with praise and a treat when the intended action is complete - and thank you for your advice on this