• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training

Sunnip’let

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Sunny Dandelion
Hello again! I was wondering if it is necessary to train your parrotlet? I did a basic amount of training with her about things like drinking from a syringe and stepping up and down, but was wondering whether or not it was necessary to take it any further. I would be really grateful for your opinions!

Reactions: Ali

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
Training is also mental stimulation for any bird. If your bird is responding well and you have time for it, then why not ;) even 5-10 mins a day is a good way to occupy your bird’s mind with useful exercise

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Training is also mental stimulation for any bird. If your bird is responding well and you have time for it, then why not ;) even 5-10 mins a day is a good way to occupy your bird’s mind with useful exercise
And it’s fun.

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
A happy parrot is a smart parrot! I'm picking up my little guy on Sunday and my intention is to do 10 minute training sessions with him twice a day. You can do a single 20 minute session, but she may lose focus.

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Recall and sending your bird to a perch are two pretty useful ones to teach! :)

I've seen FlockTalk on Youtube teach her parrotlet to fly in an '8' shape which is so impressive!

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
It also helps form a bond with your bird! In case of an emergency, training and taming helps you handle the situation with ease with the least amount of trauma.