• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training x2 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitsunee

Moving in
Real Name
Candi
After reading a few of these threads I was inspired to clicker train my fids so I have the clicker, the treats they love and an idea of what behavior and tricks I'm looking to achieve :)..So after the 'clicker conditioning' what is the next step..I'm training 2 birds ..both at different stages in their training at the moment. Training sessions are about 10 reps and that is repeated through-out the day and I'm currently just click-reward and also using verbal cues as well as hand gestures. Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated :)

Also one of the birds I'm click training is to step up..how should I go about that or more to the point am I doing it right LOL

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Targeting and stationing would be a couple of good things to do! And once targeting is achieved, if not stationing as well, you can then work on step up!

This article has some good advice, however it's wrong in when it's a good time to start clicker training! No trust is required between human and bird and one can start with a completely wild bird! All it takes is knowing how to read body language and the rewards that the bird prefers. Like kids, icecream or a candy bar is more rewarding than eating carrots or broccoli! But kids have preferences, some may prefer Reeses over Milkyway, or perhaps a 3 Musketeers over a Snickers. It's up to the bird to tell you what they find rewarding!

Trick Training Preparation

There's a bunch of other places that talk about other tricks you can teach, or buy Melinda Johnson's book "Clicker Training Birds". It has a lot of great how-to's in it!

Kitsunee

Moving in
Real Name
Candi
So what happens once the bird is responding to the clicker and progressing in the behavior we're working on? Do I just keep clicking and treating for the time being?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Once the behavior is down, you can start working on other behaviors, or working to increase/change the behavior that was trained. Don't forget to go back and "recap" on behaviors already learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.