• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training toy ideas

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
Hey all,

So I have tapered off of training Paulie (aside from the basics) because I didn't have the really neat toys I have been oggling for months. However, never underestimate the power of two creative minds (cue hubby and myself) and a magical place known as "the crafts store" (AKA my happy place).

Included below you'll see two pictures of the types of training toys I've been wanting for what seems like forever (along with their prices).

Also included you'll see a series of toys hubby and I made. We paid $1.99 for each; wood barrels bunch, wood nickels bunch, and treasure chest (not counting the tax).
In one of the pictures you'll see the barrels on top of the treasure chest. The one to the top left is how they came. Hubby used the Dremel to hollow out the barrels for me to look like the one to the bottom right.

Also, hubby used the Dremel to bore the slit to the top of the treasure chest so Paulie can slide in the coins.

So now you see the power of ingenuity. :D My question to you all is what kind of paint can I use on these new crafts? I've got acrylic on hand, but I'm more than happy to buy water color if it would be less toxic to Paulie. I want to make it fun for Paulie, but I'm not sure what paints would be non-toxic for him.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
Hey all,

So I have tapered off of training Paulie (aside from the basics) because I didn't have the really neat toys I have been oggling for months. However, never underestimate the power of two creative minds (cue hubby and myself) and a magical place known as "the crafts store" (AKA my happy place).

Included below you'll see two pictures of the types of training toys I've been wanting for what seems like forever (along with their prices).

Also included you'll see a serious of yours hubby and I made. We paid $1.99 for each; wood barrels, wood nickels, and treasure chest (not counting the tax).
In one of the pictures you'll see the barrels on top of the treasure chest. The one to the top left is how they came. Hubby used the Dremel to hollow out the barrels for me to look like the one to the bottom left.

Also, hubby used the Dremel to bore the slit to the top of the treasure chest so Paulie can slide in the coins.

So now you see the power of ingenuity. :D My question to you all is what kind of paint can I use on these new crafts? I've got acrylic on hand, but I'm more than happy to buy water color if it would be less toxic to Paulie. I want to make it fun for Paulie, but I'm not sure what paints would be non-toxic for him.

Thoughts?
I'm so sorry, I forgot to include attachments!

Attachments

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
That looks like great fun!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I like using food dye to colour stuff :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Since little parrotlets are so tiny you need to watch the scale of everything.

I bought these tiny rings for them to play with in the common area. The advert showed a budgie with them so I thought the size would work... But nope the parrotlets can't really lift them much. Luckily it wasn't a loss because Pi enjoyed holding them... But something to consider.

You may have success developing your own props. Paper basketball hoop...small beads for balls.. etc

Scale things to Paulie level :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cute! My foster parrotlet liked playing with this tiny plastic wiffle-type ball with a bell inside. He would toss it and chase it all the time. It was really cute.