• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training to Minimize Flock Calling

cricketiel

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Dana
My cockatiel has always been extremely good and quiet, willing to self entertaining and play with her toys. However, for the past week she has been waking up without fail at 7 AM, flock calling extremely loudly until I uncover her cage and let her out, and then continuing to flock call all day. I am with her all day, in the same room, so I don’t know what she’s calling for. She calls when she’s on her cage, as well as when she’s with me on my shoulder or finger. All of the advice I’ve found has dealt with birds calling when their humans leave the room, but I don’t know what to do since her calling is absolutely constant, even when I am with her and actively interacting with her. I’ve tried to ignore it when she screams and praise her when she stops, but that has gone absolutely no where and I’m worried because we live in an apartment and I don’t want to get a noise complaint. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Could she be hormonal? Or has anything changed? Even small changes can freak them out- their person getting a haircut, new glasses, moving a piece of furniture, etc.

cricketiel

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Dana
Could she be hormonal? Or has anything changed? Even small changes can freak them out- their person getting a haircut, new glasses, moving a piece of furniture, etc.
Her being hormonal is my best guess, she just turned 1 so this is her first spring. But she’s not displaying any other signs of being hormonal, and I’m not sure how to remedy screaming in hormonal birds either

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Her being hormonal is my best guess, she just turned 1 so this is her first spring. But she’s not displaying any other signs of being hormonal, and I’m not sure how to remedy screaming in hormonal birds either
I think hormones just have to run their course. How much sleep does she get? Tiels should get 10-12 hour of sleep darkness. If she isn't already, you can start there. If she is, you try increasing her normal hours of sleep by 2 hours for 2 weeks to see if that helps get her hormones back to normal.