• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training Tips

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Faithlyn
Hey guys just wondering if any of your have some tips to help correct Fumbles behavior. Lately she has been trying to fly above the cabinets in the kitchen when I bring her into the living room. Sometimes she goes up there when she is bored on her perch (even though she has toys) or will decide to fly up there in the middle of recall training when she gets distracted. I have heard of "station" training but it doesnt seem like the right fix. Any ideas how to train her to not go up there?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Block the area off totally so there’s no where to land there.

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Faithlyn
I live in an apt so I cant do too much to the area but I am not sure how to block it off. I have tried bamboo sticks both vertically and laying flat to try and discourage landing but she just clings to the side of it and tries to break it. Any recommendations?

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Faithlyn
It is a 12ft long area so it would take quite a few boxes but I will look into options that surround that idea. Thank you!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Could you tape up pieces of printer paper so that it will look like a wall to her?

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Faithlyn
She may be young but is still very smart. Yesterday I put up storage bins along it so it would seem like there is no where to land but she is still persistent. I would imagine if I taped paper she would just try to land on the edge of the cabinet wood any way like she does right now. Using the bins have helped a little but she still tries to fly up there and hang onto what I thought to be an impossible landing ledge. I thought about taping the wood on the edge to the bins so its more flat but the paint on the wood in my apartment peels so easily even with tape. It is difficult to cover this kind of area up which is why I started looking into training techniques but who knows what I will end up doing.

On a plus side when I stand to the right of the cabinets and call her from the living room she will fly toward the cabinet like she will land and then do a sharp turn to land on my hand. Glad that she is at least learning flight skills while attempting to destroy my apartment lol.

General update:
Besides the cabinet situation she is doing well and her free flight training is getting better every day. She started a partial molt (first molt) two months ago where she grew in her tail feathers and a couple secondary feathers. However this month she has 3 more primary feathers left to come in, and she has pin feathers all along her chest, side, head, and even the surface of her wings. Its been a crazy month to say the least.

Attachments