• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

training step up to a phobic zon with missing 2 back toes w/balance issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

runningoutofroom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
i adopted a red lored amazon about a year ago now she is 22 yrs old and is phobic of almost everything. she is missing one toe on both back feet and i am trying to teach her step up. i have had some success but her balance is so bad that she gets nervous and flaps her wings and falls off my hand. it is worse with a stick and never mind getting near her with a towel... i was thinking of letting her wings grow out to help with the balance?
any suggestions???

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would definitely let her wings grow out. If/when she gets her confidence back from having those beautiful wings back I would try the step up thing again. Until then I wouldn't ask her to do "anything" that makes her nervous which may hamper getting that confidence. JMO

runningoutofroom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I would definitely let her wings grow out. If/when she gets her confidence back from having those beautiful wings back I would try the step up thing again. Until then I wouldn't ask her to do "anything" that makes her nervous which may hamper getting that confidence. JMO
thank you for your advice, that is what i was thinking. she is so sweet just nervous she is molting now so i am hoping she will loose those clipped wings! :)

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
Not all Amazons like to be man-handled but I have a very balance impared Timneh Grey and she steps up kind of but most of the time I have to have her stand on the palm of my hand and put my hands over the back of her wings, it makes her feel comfortable but not all zons are comfortable with that. Feel her out let her get comfortable and more confident and try different things I have some that like to step up onto a towel as they can grip it better. :)

runningoutofroom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Not all Amazons like to be man-handled but I have a very balance impared Timneh Grey and she steps up kind of but most of the time I have to have her stand on the palm of my hand and put my hands over the back of her wings, it makes her feel comfortable but not all zons are comfortable with that. Feel her out let her get comfortable and more confident and try different things I have some that like to step up onto a towel as they can grip it better. :)
she is very sweet, the only reason i want her to step up at all is so when i need her to get in the carrier to go to the vets or if i take her out of the house.. she likes to go to the park in the carrier. the trauma of getting toweled to get in the carrier is sad and i am afraid she will injure herself. i am good at toweling at this point but still it would be a lot nicer for both her and me if i could just have her step up and in :) other wise she is happy on her play top cage all day

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
she is very sweet, the only reason i want her to step up at all is so when i need her to get in the carrier to go to the vets or if i take her out of the house.. she likes to go to the park in the carrier. the trauma of getting toweled to get in the carrier is sad and i am afraid she will injure herself. i am good at toweling at this point but still it would be a lot nicer for both her and me if i could just have her step up and in :) other wise she is happy on her play top cage all day
There are ways of using the towel in a less traumatizing manner. I was suggesing like folding the towel and maybe she will step onto it instead. We have a rescue quaker here that only has 1 toe on each foot. So he can not grip and he will not step up. But he will get up on the towel because he is able to hold on to it better. Just a suggestion :)

Status
Not open for further replies.