• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training session with family

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
Just had a somewhat successful training session with a family member and Yoshi. They needed to get him in to a travel cage by themselves and I wouldn’t be there (can’t be avoided) so we had a session to prepare.

This person didn’t know how to train and I honestly felt quite bad for Yoshi at first! But we got through it and now they can successfully put Yoshi in the travel carrier with no stress using a target stick.

After doing this I’m thinking it might be a good idea to teach anyone I’m living with and a few close friends to be able to do it confidently as I would hate for if there was an emergency and I wasn’t there. Or for Yoshi/people to be endangered or stressed out because they didn’t know how to move him easily.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
This constantly worries me because as much as my family like Burt they have made it clear they will not open his cage and handle him if I am not here. Putting food in is as far as they will go. My daughter was the most comfortable handling Burt and she even told me the once she moved him alone freaked her out so she would not do it again. I have been thinking about getting a dog crate and trying to teach Burt to climb through the feeder doors (which he absolutely loves doing) into the crate (which he absolutely hates) as they could easily control an escape free transition from cage to crate that way. There is no way to get him into the pak o bird without handling him though and angling him correctly for his tail to not get caught up. I am not sure if the crate /feeder door training would make a difference to their willingness to move him if needed though as they would still have the potential issue of having to remove the crate from the feeder door to close the crate door. I am not even sure I would be successful as he hates the dog crates pretty intensely.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
This constantly worries me because as much as my family like Burt they have made it clear they will not open his cage and handle him if I am not here. Putting food in is as far as they will go. My daughter was the most comfortable handling Burt and she even told me the once she moved him alone freaked her out so she would not do it again. I have been thinking about getting a dog crate and trying to teach Burt to climb through the feeder doors (which he absolutely loves doing) into the crate (which he absolutely hates) as they could easily control an escape free transition from cage to crate that way. There is no way to get him into the pak o bird without handling him though and angling him correctly for his tail to not get caught up. I am not sure if the crate /feeder door training would make a difference to their willingness to move him if needed though as they would still have the potential issue of having to remove the crate from the feeder door to close the crate door. I am not even sure I would be successful as he hates the dog crates pretty intensely.
That would worry me to maybe a friend that is confident with large birds?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That would worry me to maybe a friend that is confident with large birds?
That would be good. None of the people I know close by fit that category though.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Great idea...wish my family was more interested. My middle child maybe...