• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training Questions, need Advice Please!

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
I think I have Gryphon "loaded" with click=treat.
Here is our progress so far in past two weeks:

He is eagerly stepping up to my arm from inside the cage and removed to another area. I do this every morning after his cage is uncovered.

He is allowing me to touch his feet, rub his beak with thumb and finger. For the last 3 days I have been able to pet him with the back of my hand from his neck to his chest. :omg:

He is comfortable enough today that while perched on my arm, he curled one of his feet up and rested for several minutes.

He has also in the last 1-2 wks started using his foot to grasp my fingers when he becomes uncomfortable with my touching him. I have been rewarding him for this behavior. Is this the correct thing to do?

Is he at a point that I can start teaching to target to a stick?

Do I start this from inside the cage or in the "training" area?

His history is he is a YNA, ex-breeder approx. 15+ yrs old. When I first got him he was VERY leary of my hands.

Thanks in advance!

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I'm working with Toady on this too. He is very similar to Gryphon. I'm doing things at his pace and if he seems uncomfortable, I stop. We've been making major progress.

When training a bird, it is important that mutual trust and respect is involved. If you don't respect him when he's giving you a hint to stop, he will not trust or respect you. I would definitely reward him when he gives you any clues that he doesn't like what you are doing and stop for a bit.
BTW, here is where I am with Toady.
YouTube - Toady getting head scratches

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
Bumping post to see if I can get more advice please!

Allison
I enjoyed the video, I can only dream if/when I'd be able to do that with Gryphon.
I don't think he cares much for human hands at this point, but he gets a little calmer every day.

rocabird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
dawn
I would try both in and out of his cage and see where he is most comfortable. When I first started working Eco, he sat on the porch of his cage. Once he was doing the behavior we were working on there, we moved to a T perch then to the top of a dresser that's in the bird room. Just remember to take it slow and work at his speed and comfort level. He'll probably really start to look forward to your sessions. :)

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
I think I have Gryphon "loaded" with click=treat.
Here is our progress so far in past two weeks:

He is eagerly stepping up to my arm from inside the cage and removed to another area. I do this every morning after his cage is uncovered.

He is allowing me to touch his feet, rub his beak with thumb and finger. For the last 3 days I have been able to pet him with the back of my hand from his neck to his chest. :omg:

He is comfortable enough today that while perched on my arm, he curled one of his feet up and rested for several minutes.

He has also in the last 1-2 wks started using his foot to grasp my fingers when he becomes uncomfortable with my touching him. I have been rewarding him for this behavior. Is this the correct thing to do?

Is he at a point that I can start teaching to target to a stick?

Do I start this from inside the cage or in the "training" area?

His history is he is a YNA, ex-breeder approx. 15+ yrs old. When I first got him he was VERY leary of my hands.

Thanks in advance!
I would praise him for grabbing your finger when he has had enough of something better than biting which mostly would come next . I say this cause it worked with my Mickey he lets me know if something I do bothers him by grabbing finger with foot or with his beek lightly I would say sorry and thank you as a praise .

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
I wouldn't necessarily reward the behavior but I wouldn't discourage it either. I would try to comfort him the best you can. Maybe try talking calmly and telling him it's ok in a sort of baby talk way or whatever he likes. You don't want this behavior to escalate so try and help him be more confident in himself and not need you for comfort. You don't want to create a phobic or needy bird on accident. Needy behaviors being fed are often the precursor to plucking and other such behaviors.
Also I wouldn't train in or by the cage ever. You want him in a neutral place that isn't "owned" by anyone per say. Also when training you don't want him to have access to other food besides the treats your giving him because he could become distracted. Best to have him in a place where you are the sole focus of his attention to be most effective. You don't want him blowing you off for a toy. Lol. Good luck though.