• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training Maxi Pionus not to chew items?

EchoDolphin

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lauren
Hi guys! I'm not sure where to put this so feel free to move it as needed. I've been having more and more issues with my Maxi named Echo chomping on everything. He didn't use to do this nearly as much as he does now and I'm not sure what could be causing or affecting it. He chews anything he can see and reach. Not furniture (minus a leg of a coffee table once or twice), but other objects. He once destroyed the wheel covering on my wireless mouse in the 2 seconds I wasn't looking. He recently maimed my headphone cord to the point that the dual wires aren't dual anymore and the connector is barely attached. Any kind of cable he tries to chew. He'll wander and pick up random objects, be it hair ties, mail, prescription bottles... He somehow always finds coins that I didn't know were on the floor. If it's in reach, it'll end up in his beak.

Here's the thing. I know birds are chewers, and I'm ok with that. I have lots of toys for him to drop, chew and dangle. He plays with those but if he comes over to me, he tries to grab everything around him and me. Is there a way to get him to leave items alone? I'd happily give him things to chew but I want to have the choice to do so instead of him just grabbing and munching. I want it to be like my old dog who used to only chew objects that my mom gave her first. Is that even possible? I love him but something needs to change, and I don't know how to proceed. I'd appreciate any advice you can give me.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Im not familiar with pionus but I know my macaws both do this. I just make sure there's nothing in their reach they can get into that could be harmful. My severe is particularly enamored of my laptop and will try to grab it at any opportunity. So I stopped using it around him. Also, if I'm holding something, a wire, a phone, a remote etc that means it must be a super fun toy to my blue and gold and why won't I share? Lol They're like toddlers and toddlers always want what the other kid is playing with.
Hopefully some others will chime in with training advice, but I know for me it's just easiest to avoid a situation where they get around something they shouldn't chew. :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
First. Every bird I know has a great desire to chew wires, cords and electronics. If you react in any way they are going to do it more for the drama reward. My computer keyboard is currently misding an "I" and a "J". Your best bet is to keep things you don't want chewed in a bird free zone. Or store it in a drawer or cabinet your bird cannot get into when not in actual use. If you are using them with the bird around they are even more enticing because they are "stealing" your attention so it must be some valuable "toy".
If you wish to use the items with your bird present you are going to need to keep high value toys handy to distract him/her from the objects you are trying to protect. So if your Maxi even looks like he/She is going after an object you wish to protect pick up a toy and distract your bird with it.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Yeah birds chew up our stuff! Walls, baseboards, papers, wires, whatever is available. The more forbidden the better with some of them (not mentioning any names......Darwin :rolleyes: ). I have a whole list of things I've had to keep out of sight as he gets obsessed with them - bottles, cell phone, cell phone case, purse, slippers, knives, pens, containers, etc. Can't do any more jigsaw puzzles as he flew off with 3 pieces of the last one and ruined them. Yesterday I was working from home and he had my pen, then was chewing up the note I was working from. I don't know if some birds can be trained to only chew certain things but my brat can't. :hilarious:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Sorry for the giggles, @DQTimnehs . I have mostly little fids so your post struck me as hilarious! Esp as I make toys from jigsaw puzzles!!!

I know what you mean @EchoDolphin - those beaks are powerful! Turn your head and something's ruined! We have replaced many chargers and cords because of this. The only thing I know is to distract by offering a toy or asking them to perform some trick they know.

I keep a 'tree' perch on my desk with toys hanging on it and a basket of foot toys and food below it. That keeps them a little bit out of trouble. If they're really persistent, and I'm working, I tell them to go see hubby, whose desk is in the same office. Or I put them in the cage by my desk, which looks out over the pool area. There's a lot to see out there - canal, birds like egrets, crows, others... daughter's dog diving in the pool over and over.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I want it to be like my old dog who used to only chew objects that my mom gave her first. Is that even possible? I love him but something needs to change, and I don't know how to proceed. I'd appreciate any advice you can give me.
No it's not a dog. What needs to change is your environment. They can only chew things they can get their beaks on and only go where you allow them (because of barriers etc.)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would put everything away where he can't get to them, and then get some "human" items that are only for him, like an old keyboard, bottles, phone case, etc. and put those around the room.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
electronics are not safe. Keyboards have toxic material in them. Not a toy. Give him a room if you can or else bird proof your house and buy tons of chewing bird safe toys/stuff for him.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I wish a toy vendor could invent a bird safe electrical cord dupe. It seems all birds love trying to chew up cords.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
electronics are not safe. Keyboards have toxic material in them. Not a toy. Give him a room if you can or else bird proof your house and buy tons of chewing bird safe toys/stuff for him.
Thanks, I didn't know this! (Not that my birds play with my keyboard.)

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
They are like having toddlers, remember. They will chew on, play with or destroy anything they get hold of. PLUS things are MUCH more desirable when you have played with them FIRST! You have a responsibility to Bird Proof their environment for their safety. It is not about you being annoyed or changing their habits.

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
Hi Echodolphin! I used to have the same problem with my bird Georgie. Only instead of destroying everything in sight, she loved trying to destroy my glasses. She would grab my glasses and try to chew on them. What I did was gently grab her ( she is used to this and was taught relax) and moved her away from the object that she wanted. She now will respond to no glasses I told her this every time she tried to go after them. Although, she still does, it is not constant and is only occasionally. I hope this helps.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi Echodolphin! I used to have the same problem with my bird Georgie. Only instead of destroying everything in sight, she loved trying to destroy my glasses. She would grab my glasses and try to chew on them. What I did was gently grab her ( she is used to this and was taught relax) and moved her away from the object that she wanted. She now will respond to no glasses I told her this every time she tried to go after them. Although, she still does, it is not constant and is only occasionally. I hope this helps.
That is good advice, Caitlyn. I use "mine." They get used to not playing with mine. Except those little sparkles on my shirts....they all love those.