• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training Issue

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Now it's not a huge problem, but Spearmint has seemed to learn that when he's shown a treat, it means Spin. Thats his one and only trick so far, but I struggle to teach him other things because the moment he sees a treat, he spins, and he wont stop. He will spin 20 times or more as long as the seed is in my hand. It's funny, I admit, but it's not great for trying to train recalls, target training, harness training etc.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
That’s actually really hilarious and I’d love a video of that :rofl:

Have you tried a different type of treat? It is something where you can change the color of the treat?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do you treat in the end or redirect and start again?

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
That’s actually really hilarious and I’d love a video of that :rofl:

Have you tried a different type of treat? It is something where you can change the color of the treat?
I'll try grab a video ;)

It's any treat, millet, sunflower seed, carrot pieces, fruit slice. I think to him, if he wants something he spins to get it. I'll try just continuing to redirect him.

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I find clicker target training helped a lot when I started training with Pico. I think it helps him know that he'll get a treat once he completes an action. And the clicker sound helps him understand when I guide him that it's a specific action I want him to do

I started with clicker training then moved on to recall and trick training.

Also, I find doing hand actions along with verbal commands for tricks helps. Like if I want Pico to spin, I'll say spin and twirl my hand. If I want him to flip then I rotate my hands and say flip. I'll wave my hand and say hi for hi etc

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I find clicker target training helped a lot when I started training with Pico. I think it helps him know that he'll get a treat once he completes an action. And the clicker sound helps him understand when I guide him that it's a specific action I want him to do

I started with clicker training then moved on to recall and trick training.

Also, I find doing hand actions along with verbal commands for tricks helps. Like if I want Pico to spin, I'll say spin and twirl my hand. If I want him to flip then I rotate my hands and say flip. I'll wave my hand and say hi for hi etc
I usually do hand movements for tricks, but the hand movement for spin seems to be holding a seed.
I'll try clicker training again, I wasn't too successful last time.

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's a video of the hand movement I do for spins and here's one for flips

I used a stick at first for the motions since Pico would try to follow the stick from clicker training. I find showing Pico a treat from the start to be too distracting so as long as he knew he'll get a treat from touching the stick then he was very motivated (I just use the stick to guide though and don't let him touch it since I want him to know it's the action that gets the treat and click to reinforce the action)

Last edited:

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]

I used a stick at first for the motions since Pico would try to follow the stick from clicker training. I find showing Pico a treat from the start to be too distracting so as long as he knew he'll get a treat from touching the stick then he was very motivated (I just use the stick to guide though and don't let him touch it since I want him to know it's the action that gets the treat and click to reinforce the action)

Thats so cool!
How did you manage to train Pico to do a trick without showing a treat first? Spearmint refuses to do anything unless he's able to see the treat, but he does get distracted by it. Clicker training might fix that issue though, so I will try that on the weekend.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

What a cutie

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I would start carrying some treats in your pockets in addition to the advice above. When you see something you like, like stretching/wings up, reward. You will catch her of guard and I think she will likely take the treat without the spinning.
For clicker training I usually start by just sitting near you/with you, sneakily get a treat out of your pocket, click+give her treat and repeat a couple days. They usually catch on pretty quickly but to really let them grasp the click=treat I usually work on that for a week or so depending on the bird. With my mum’s cat I did it for three weeks before moving forward with training, the connection is so strong if I have a clicker with me and click he comes running and drops whatever he is doing! It has been 6 years since my last training session with him.

If the spinning is persistent after a couple weeks, I would let it ‘go extinct’, meaning she doesn’t get a reaction out of you and eventually will stop. That will not be fun for her though so I hope you will have succes teaching her treat doesn’t mean spin, spin, spin haha! It is very cute though :heart:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann

Oh that is adorable :heart:

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thats so cool!
How did you manage to train Pico to do a trick without showing a treat first? Spearmint refuses to do anything unless he's able to see the treat, but he does get distracted by it. Clicker training might fix that issue though, so I will try that on the weekend.
Clicker target training should really fix that since they'll get that "click=treat" as @TikiMyn mentioned :D

After he gets basic clicker training I would recommend moving on to target training with a stick (I used a chopstick for this) but I would click and reward when Pico touched the tip of the chopstick and I would start holding it in harder to reach areas etc for Pico to follow and touch and click and reward, rinse and repeat.

Then once he associated the "target" (stick) with "click" (treat), you should be able to guide him with the stick as mentioned without having to show him a treat first.

I agree with @TikiMyn that I'd let the spinning go extinct if it persists to be a distraction.

I feel clicker target training is very good basic training to get down so I recommend working at least a couple of days with Spearmint on it. I usually always revert back to clicker target training if I want to work on a new trick since it's less confusing for Pico if it's a similar trick to something he already knows (like hang upside down vs the flip etc)

With my mum’s cat I did it for three weeks before moving forward with training, the connection is so strong if I have a clicker with me and click he comes running and drops whatever he is doing! It has been 6 years since my last training session with him.
Wow! That's so amazing :laugh: