• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training for Nail Trims?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MessyBeaks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Leigh
It seems to me that one of the Positive Reinforcement gurus had published a how-to guide for training a parrot to accept nail trimming/filing without restraint - does anyone know where I could find this?

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
i wish Mango need his done bad last one cost $118.00 they were back in a week just as sharp now i need to find a way to get him done again found a chap close by for 20.00 to 30.00 hel do them and he was recomended by some one thats fussy about there birds so i know i can trust him

hugs doll Mango

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I taught my macaws to lay on their backs on my lap and they both accept nail/beak trims with a dremel no less. I thought the beak with that grinding would be awful, but they seem to like to get rid of all of the scales.

MessyBeaks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Leigh
Well I took a shot at it and it actually went pretty well - Cruz, my macaw, hung from the inside of her cage and I alternated filing each toenail with showers of beak kisses and an almond in-shell when we were all done. Not bad for a first go!

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Thats great! I am working on that too, but it is much harder here. Picaso is showing progress, but no one else lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.