• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training Cockatiel to be Held from Top and Having Wings Touched

lobster14

Meeting neighbors
Perhaps this is a losing battle due to how skittish Cockatiels can be, but I've been trying to get my 6 month old Tiel used to being held with a hand from the top and also being comfortable with having his wings touched. He is a pretty smart guy so far, and picked up recall, step up, and target training really quickly. He absolutely hates having his wings touched though (maybe a traumatic clipping experience? He came clipped as a baby), and he also hates any hand even cupping his back. It's somewhat odd though as he loves head scritches and sometimes will willingly snuggle into my hand, but only on his terms. I've been trying for just a minute or two each day to gently place my hand on his back and then reward with generous amounts of millet spray, but he usually gets all into a panick and just tries to run away. If I do place my hand, sometimes he's OK, but other times he starts screaming.

For context, I'm doing this training to make it easier for medical inspections in the future, to get his harness on, but also just be more confident and less fearful around hands. Anything I can do differently with the training, or should I not even bother trying?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump4:

Branch

Meeting neighbors
Since he's target trained, kind of cup your hand sideways and target your bird into your cup so that the palm of your hand is touching one of his wings. Do this until he's comfortable being touched on both sides, and then you can try to lift his wings.:birdance:

lobster14

Meeting neighbors
Since he's target trained, kind of cup your hand sideways and target your bird into your cup so that the palm of your hand is touching one of his wings. Do this until he's comfortable being touched on both sides, and then you can try to lift his wings.:birdance:
Really like this idea! Thank you for sharing and I'll give it a try!