• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training budgies!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Jasmine :)

To get them a little less scared of you, I would first spend time by their cage talking to them (sit sideways rather than stare) and feeding treats through the cage bars. If they are fluttering around, back off, but drop a treat in their food bowl (or attach a special extra bowl, just for dropping treats into). Everytime you pass the cage, be sure to drop a treat in the bowl too.

Here´s some more tips: Some things to do with a new bird....

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to AA!

I just got two re-homed budgies Friday. I've been talking to them. They pay attention. :)

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
Welcome to the avenue!
If the budgies are food-motivated, you may want to consider target training. It's an easy approach for most bird owners, regardless of their experience level. The birds don't have to interact directly with your hands, and it really pays off in the long run. It's a stable foundation for trick training and simple tasks, such as getting the birds to go back into their cage(s) or to bond with other people. The Parrot Problem Solver and Parrot Tricks are useful for this approach, the first being a must-read for bird enthusiasts and owners alike. Parrot Tricks offers a deeper look into the benefits of training and how to begin. YouTube can also be beneficial if you decide to target train, but take some of the videos that you find with a grain of salt ;)
I was able to tame both of my budgies in this way--Percy (female) was 4 years old and skittish, while Peridot (also female) was even older than Percy! Patience is key when bonding with birds, especially smaller parrots. Seed mixes and millet are great treats/rewards, depending on their current diet. Offer these in all of your first interactions with the birds. @budgieluv3 may have more budgie advice as well.
Good luck! :)

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
You have been given great advice here... do you have any photos of your 2?

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
Welcome to the Avenue @Keepskatin :welcomegroup:
Here is a thread on the same thing started just yesterday :)
Trouble Taming Flighty Budgie
Here is how I trained my untame budgies :D
The way I trained my untamed budgies was giving them treats by hand to get them used to it. Afterwards I used a perch to get them to step up while keeping my hand at the base. Slowly I moved my hand upwards and after about a month when it came to the top of the perch I removed the perch and they started stepping up to my hand:)
Also, it is the same method @budgieluv3 used recently :hehe:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Beautiful colours & patterns!