• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training away object aggression issues

Solvurr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Solveig Eide
Hi! I really want to start training my Pearly conure, Atlas. I want to start with his object aggression issues, and I've seen quite a few videos of people using clicker training to do so. The issue is: Atlas HATES the clicker. Doesn anyone have some advice on how to make him not attack me while holding it?

Zanny

Moving in
I've seen a lot of people that train their birds without a clicker. Generally they choose bridge word ("good" for example) and use it as if it were the clicker sound. It works fine, but you would have to be mindful about not using the word in your everyday conversations so that the bird doesn't get confused and expect a treat all of a sudden. You could also put the clicker in your pocket and click it still inside it, so that your bird hears the sound but don't see the clicker. There are ways to desensitize this aggression (i.e. put the clicker in a table and give your bird a treat when he ignores it) but someone more experienced could give you more tips about it.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I used a clicker to train the dog and budgies, but Opie and Oggie don't like it much.
When I don't have the clicker for the dog I use a very specific tone of "yes!" as a bridge word instead, and that seems to be working well for Opie and Oggie instead of using a clicker at all.

Or you could click your tongue, or hide the clicker in your pocket and just press it through the fabric.
Like Zanny said, the main benefit of the clicker is marking the exact moment of the desired behavior (because waiting for your hand to move the treat is too much of a delay). But you don't have to actually click :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Does not have to be the actual clicker that is used- can you click your fingers or tongue instead? The sound needs to be consistent and made at the right time is about the only rules for clicker training ;)

Solvurr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Solveig Eide
I didn't even think of that lol, thank you! I'll try this :)

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Target training could work as the target would be the object and not the clicker, he doesnt get the reward if attacking the target.
You can also do the target training with him in the cage targeting him around the cage you can use the clicker he wont be able to attack it or you.
You can reward any positive behaviour with a treat through the cage bars.
All of my initial training was done with Mojo with her in her cage and it worked really well.