• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training and taming Kero (Budgie), succeeded!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
So, I have been working on training/taming Kero, my little special-abled Budgie. He is a rescue (along with 2 of my other Budgies), and he was pretty.. well, wild you could say. :p

He has always been fine with my hand being in the cage, so I didn’t go through getting him used to my hand being in the cage since for quite awhile now, he is used to my hand being in and out of there a lot. I did do one thing different with Kero that I don’t think many other people do/would do, and that is I had him step up onto a perch while still in the cage rather than my hand straight away (yes it took longer, but I wanted to go at his pace) — I just didn’t want to push him to step up onto my hand/finger so soon, giving him a perch to step up onto gave him more of a reason not to fear my hands, and still be in his comfort zone. I done very short 5 min sessions with him, he could see my hands at all times, even holding onto the perch, and he done excellent! When he would he step up onto the perch I would say “good boy”, reason being, he isn’t big on treats, I tried millet and tiny bits of fruit, that was a no-go. I had then moved onto putting him on the top of his cage (on the outside), and asking him to step up onto the perch, again 5 minute sessions of doing this, he was still stepping up excellent, a few times he was a bit hesitant though. We then went back to stepping up onto the perch back inside the cage, but it came to stepping up onto the perch, and then stepping up onto my hand held out flat, now this took patience, and he made sure he let me know that it wasn’t going to happen right away, which I knew. I might have kind of done a trick, I placed the perch on my hand which was held out flat, and got him to step up, and guess what, it worked. :D This is what I kept doing inside the cage for quite a bit, and we moved to the outside of the cage again, and I could eventually take the perch off my hand, and hold it out flat and he would step up onto it! He is now stepping up from the inside of his cage onto my hand or finger, and I am so excited, it took time and definitely more so patience, but it was so worth it and I hope it continues like this, because he is so much calmer then he was once before, he is almost as laid back as my Cockatiels. ;) PS: He loves sitting on my shoulder, he sits up there and chirps having a grand old time. :hehe:

Anyway, I took a few photos of Kero tonight, I thought I would share them. :)

IMG_0032.jpg IMG_0234.jpg IMG_9023.jpg

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
awwwwwwww what a little sweetheart.

Status
Not open for further replies.