• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training an older ringneck

Urchinia

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone!

On Sunday, I was finally able to bring home my first ringneck. I adopted him from another person. She had a female ringneck who was very "outgoing" and the male, that I adopted, is more shy and didn't want to leave his cage around the female. She would pester him a lot I think, and the owner knew his quality of life would be better in a home where he was the only ringneck.

He lived in that home for about 2 years and previous to that he was in an environment where he was intended to use for breeding, but he would not breed. I don't think his life was very enriched at the first home. He is now around 7 years old.

Even though he's only been with me for a couple days, I feel like he's settling well. He's eating great. Screaming when I am not around (but that seems to be getting better as well) and playing with his toys. He LOVES toys. He's quite timid of me still (he screams at me if I talk to him) but he doesn't seem completely freaked out by me. I have his cage near my sofa, so he can watch me from a distance.

I feel like training is going to take a long time. He's got a pleasant personality, but he's more on the timid side. He has no interest in leaving his cage yet. Can anyone recommend some reading material or videos on how to start training him to step up, etc? This is my first experience with a "larger" bird. I have budgies but they were hand-raised and it took less work for me to gain their trust.

Any resources or experiences you can share are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Congratulations! Thanks for taking on a re home! :heart2:
So awesome you are enriching his life with toys!

Target training is probably going to be your best bet.

Im sure folks with ringneck will offer some help.

Im tagging @Parutti because she has provided a wonderful enriched life for her African rigneck who has has a rough life before her.

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura