• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training a bird to fly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glamourcat

Meeting neighbors
Paulie is an CAG who may have at one point had her wings clipped. I'm honestly not sure, since I'm the 3rd owner. I'm guessing that she's used to clipped wings because she does not fly, she doesn't even attempt it. My husband and I have both tried bouncing her up and down on our hands to get her to flap but no luck - she thinks we're dancing and bops her head and makes laser noises. Her wings are fully grown in and she's healthy. I've accidentally startled her into flight once (vacuum cleaners - bane of all household pets) but since then she doesn't seem to be inclined to try it again on her own. I want her to be healthy and active and unafraid of exploring her new home or flying over to be with us if she wants attention. What's the best way to start training this? I keep having people tell me to start her with a hop or jump with no other explanation of how to do that. Not very helpful. Any explanation on the steps would be great!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Teach her to step up with a different command, such as "Come here". If she repeats this step 9 out of 10 times correctly (or 10 out of 10, may require 20+ repetitions), slowly increase that distance. A short 'step up' (without pressing against her stomach or lifting her toes, but her lifting her foot and placing it on your hand), then a longer step up, then a longer step up with her using her beak, then having her hop, then a hop with a flap, etc.

If she ever becomes hesitant at any one step, then go back a step and keep training from there.

Glamourcat

Meeting neighbors
Thanks! That gives me a place to start. I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.