• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tracy Aviary in Salt Lake City

Akoni

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Husband and I are embarking on a 15-day-long Amtrak train trip cross country in a couple of days, from Syracuse, New York to Emeryville/San Francisco, California with stops in Chicago, Cleveland, Denver, and Salt Lake City. I was exploring things to do in Salt Lake City, and stumbled across Tracy Aviary. It looks like a sizeable zoo devoted solely to birds, with hornbills, owls, keas, cranes, flamingos, hawks and a flock of sun conures. It looks like parrotdise, has anyone been there? Tracy Aviary

I'm also looking for travel tips from anyone familiar with Salt Lake City, Yosemite National Park, or San Francisco.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
What a cool way to travel. I've never been in Salt Lake - always purposely drove around it when traveling in my motorhome. The Mormon Temple is one thing not to miss in SLC.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sounds like a great place. Although anyone can make a really cool looking site.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Places that were interesting, creepy and beautiful (each in their own way) - Alcatraz (though you might need to make a reservation), Muir Woods, Napa Valley, Fisherman's Wharf, Ghirardelli Square. If you have the time visit Monterrey and if you stop at any of the parks on the way you might be able to feed the ground squirrels.

Akoni

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
What a cool way to travel. I've never been in Salt Lake - always purposely drove around it when traveling in my motorhome. The Mormon Temple is one thing not to miss in SLC.
Yes! The Mormon Temple has a spectacular Christmas lights display at nighttime, and we'll be just in time to see it before it's finished for the season. Why do you always try to avoid Salt Lake City- the traffic?

Sounds like a great place. Although anyone can make a really cool looking site.
Bah Humbug!

Places that were interesting, creepy and beautiful (each in their own way) - Alcatraz (though you might need to make a reservation), Muir Woods, Napa Valley, Fisherman's Wharf, Ghirardelli Square. If you have the time visit Monterrey and if you stop at any of the parks on the way you might be able to feed the ground squirrels.
Muir Woods, Fisherman's Wharf, and Golden Gate Park are definitely on the list! We only have one day in San Francisco, so there probably won't be time for Napa valley and Monterrey. I'll have to look into Alcatraz and Ghirardelli Square. Thanks.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I'm wondering what you have planned for Denver?
The only fun thing by the train station I can think of is the Tattered Cover Bookstore.
The Botanic Gardens is sorta near, but all that would be growing is in the big glasshouse.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
The only fun thing by the train station I can think of is the Tattered Cover Bookstore.
The Botanic Gardens is sorta near, but all that would be growing is in the big glasshouse.
And, um, the many "botanical" cafes :wideyed: as long as you are over 21 - see @JLcribber and the "oregano" leaf on the back of his teen Duster. ;)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm Facebook friends with someone who works at Tracy Aviary and it's a definite must see! They have the most amazing birds there and do live shows with them. You will really enjoy the diversity you will see there and it's all hands on! The pictures she posts on FB are truly amazing! Do not skip it!

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
And, um, the many "botanical" cafes :wideyed: as long as you are over 21 - see @JLcribber and the "oregano" leaf on the back of his teen Duster. ;)
oh yeah, I don't use any of that so I forget about it.
although you can buy it downtown, but there is no place legal to smoke it unless you are local and take it home. in the election they passed a bill to create places for locals/tourists to smoke in bars but there seems to be some long legal work or something, there won't be anywhere for a long time.

Akoni

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
We are staying with a friend for two nights who actually lives an hour north of Denver. He has a whole itinerary planned for us- driving in the mountains, bathing in the hot springs, stopping at the breweries, and a New Year's Eve at his house that may or may not include botanical products.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
We are staying with a friend for two nights who actually lives an hour north of Denver. He has a whole itinerary planned for us- driving in the mountains, bathing in the hot springs, stopping at the breweries, and a New Year's Eve at his house that may or may not include botanical products.
That sounds like quite a front range sampler- Have a fun and safe time!

Akoni

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Muir Woods, Fisherman's Wharf, and Golden Gate Park are definitely on the list! We only have one day in San Francisco, so there probably won't be time for Napa valley and Monterrey. I'll have to look into Alcatraz and Ghirardelli Square. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
@SandraK Just realized that Ghiradelli Square is blocks away from Fisherman's Wharf- duh! I'm most excited about the sea lions at Pier 39.

That sounds like quite a front range sampler- Have a fun and safe time!
Thanks! Both of us have traveled up and down the East coast, but never West, so we're excited! I have a friend and cousin, both originally from upstate New York, who moved to Colorado and never looked back, so I'm excited to see it for myself.

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
I may be going to the Salt Lake City area in Oct.
Thanks for sharing about this place I would love to hear more about it.
Hope I can get there too. :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@Akoni how was your trip ??

Akoni

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
It was great! Tracy Aviary is right inside a large park in the middle of the city. There are several different buildings, and it took us about two and a half hours to adequately explore- and this is winter, so not all the exhibits were open. They have one aviary full of sun conures, and another one with quakers; for all lovers of those species. The South American Pavilion was one of my favorites, with a green acari and toucan. They have several bald and golden eagles, but also a wild bald eagle that hangs out in a large pine tree next to the exhibit and free loads. I also really enjoyed seeing the keas- it was my first time to see these unusual alpine parrots in person. We missed the daily bird show, but the keepers brought out a few species for some enrichment activities. A beautiful green wing came out to free fly. After several laps between handlers, she went back in, and it was a gorgeous milky eagle owl's chance to look around outside.

My husband was all too happy to oblige and give me these photos to share:
Milky Eagle Owl (indigenous to sub-Saharan Africa)
D71_8214.jpg
D71_8186.jpg
Barn owl
D71_8151.jpg D71_8167.jpg
Kea!!!
D71_8181.jpg D71_8208.jpg D71_8196.jpg

During our time in Salt Lake City, we also visited Antelope Island State Park, on the Great Salt Lake. There were THOUSANDS of ducks on the lake, feasting on the mineral-rich sediment and brine shrimp. We also captured this little magpie, contrasting against the blanket of snow.
SLC_Ducks_Pano.jpg D71_8060.jpg

bicmeister

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
have fun. can't wait to see all your photos along the way!

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
It was great! Tracy Aviary is right inside a large park in the middle of the city. There are several different buildings, and it took us about two and a half hours to adequately explore- and this is winter, so not all the exhibits were open. They have one aviary full of sun conures, and another one with quakers; for all lovers of those species. The South American Pavilion was one of my favorites, with a green acari and toucan. They have several bald and golden eagles, but also a wild bald eagle that hangs out in a large pine tree next to the exhibit and free loads. I also really enjoyed seeing the keas- it was my first time to see these unusual alpine parrots in person. We missed the daily bird show, but the keepers brought out a few species for some enrichment activities. A beautiful green wing came out to free fly. After several laps between handlers, she went back in, and it was a gorgeous milky eagle owl's chance to look around outside.

My husband was all too happy to oblige and give me these photos to share:
Milky Eagle Owl (indigenous to sub-Saharan Africa)
View attachment 242023
View attachment 242024
Barn owl
View attachment 242025 View attachment 242026
Kea!!!
View attachment 242028 View attachment 242029 View attachment 242030

During our time in Salt Lake City, we also visited Antelope Island State Park, on the Great Salt Lake. There were THOUSANDS of ducks on the lake, feasting on the mineral-rich sediment and brine shrimp. We also captured this little magpie, contrasting against the blanket of snow.
View attachment 242031 View attachment 242032
:wow:
They are beautiful pictures!!! Thanks for sharing

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Very cool! They have a resident Red Tail Black Cockatoo female who I'm totally in love with and just had some spoonbills hatch a few months ago. I've been enjoying the pictures and videos of them growing up...such silly birds!

Akoni

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
:wow:
They are beautiful pictures!!! Thanks for sharing
:) Definitely worth a visit if you have the time!

Very cool! They have a resident Red Tail Black Cockatoo female who I'm totally in love with and just had some spoonbills hatch a few months ago. I've been enjoying the pictures and videos of them growing up...such silly birds!
Oh no, I think I missed both! Some parts of the exhibits were closed due to the cold weather.