• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toys that attach to the side of the cage?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Hi all!

So the holiday season is upon us, and I've gotta get started on Christmas shopping for Chirp. I'm figuring on toys, maybe a couple of perches, probably some high-value treats (gotta love those almonds!). I'm planning on heading out today, and I've noticed that the lower 3/4s of his cage are kind of barren as far as toys go. All of his toys hang from the cage ceiling, and I'm looking to get some that got on the sides. I know Chirp really likes those Bird Kabobs, So maybe I'll get a big one and put it by his manzanita perch?

If you look in the thread "Cage Set Up Resource" (it's stickied in Toys and Cages Bypass), the website that's linked has some pretty good budgie setups, and a lot of them are really toy-heavy. I'd kind of like to go for something like that.

Do you guys have any suggestions for toys to attach to the sides of his cage? I'm open to buying stuff from vendors here on AA, as long as the stuff isn't too expensive. Chirp likes wood (yucca, manzanita, balsa), he likes bells (because what bird doesn't?) and basically anything he can chew or preen (the ends of cotton rope are pretty popular), if it helps.

Thanks in advance!

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I do not have budgies but from threads here it seems they really like balsa...check out some of @gibsongrrrl threads for toy ideas. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I do not have budgies but from threads here it seems they really like balsa...check out some of @gibsongrrrl threads for toy ideas. :)
Yeah, balsa seems to be a big common ground.
Tweetypiesbirdtoys.com has several, like these: Sadie

Things for Wings has several also, I believe all of hers are called "fences" and "busy baskets", like this: Carrot Busy Basket from Things for Wings Original Easter Bird and Parrot Toys

I don't know what kind of cage you have, but you can also usually just hook a hanging toy to the side bars. I do that often!
TweetyPie'sBird Toys and Things for wings are the two shops I've been keeping my eye on, I might have to pick up a visa gift card!

I had never thought of just hooking hanging toys onto the side! Chirp has one of those big flight cages, so I'm sure there's be plenty of room to do that...:D

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
I second tweetypies balsa and small bird toys. There are side mount and sometimes garland type toys with lots of foraging opportunities!

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
This is what I do when I cannot find or run out of side mount toys. These are also little perches. It gets my two girls moving around the whole flight cage.
DIY toy hangers!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tweety Pies and Things for Wings (Lots of fun fences).