• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toys suggestions for lovebird?

Drewald

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Donna Rewald
I know it's probably a hit and miss with birds what they enjoy individually, but I've bought a bunch and Milo just doesn't seem interested? He will occasionally play with one and newer ones forget it lol. I just feel badly he's not having "fun" while he's in his cage?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Zara @Peachfaced
Have you tried soft balsa,Sola,thin cut pine or Mahogany? These easy to destroy materials can help bridge them into more challenging toys.
I highly recommend @Mizzely 's store Lil Monsters Bird Toys she specializes in small bird toys and can customize things to help your fabies be interested if they favor certain materials.
A favorite here is the Balsa dinos that you can add millet or other treats too,Hugh,Itty Bitty Chippy and Softie.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Sherbie loved shredding. Corn husk, finger traps, balsa, and woven pinatas were what she enjoyed in her younger days. Anything you can utilize as a foraging opportunity is good, too. Toys don't have to be exclusively foraging - any gap you can shove a bit of millet or other small treat will work. This way, you encourage them to play more. Even if they don't destroy the toys as much, they're still being entertained with hunting for goodies.

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Oscar likes woven palm leaves, especially those Planet Pleasures pinatas and their sunflower toy. He also enjoys soft balsa blocks and this one toy from Seriously Nutz called Balsa Blast that has small wooden beads imbedded into the wood. I have to rotate the toys very frequently because he gets so bored of them easily. If you are looking for a toy with lots of different materials all at once I would recommend the fence toys from Things For Wings. It has so many nooks and crannies to hide millet or seeds in and it has so many types of wood.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What kind of toys have you tried so far? Lovebirds seem to be all over the map on what they like based on my customers' feedback :lol: But I will echo that many seem to enjoy balsa, sola, and mahogany, foraging, and anything "crunchy" like vine, palm, and seagrass.

A lot of the pet store toys have their wood cut "with the grain" which makes it super quick and easy to use a machine to cut it - but it is not as fun for a lot of birds as it takes a lot more effort to break it apart. Many don't see the point in expending all that effort! So starting with smaller toys, with softer materials, can help introduce them to the fun world of destruction!

Here's my "Intro" collection of toys that seem to be a hit with birds newer to chewing and foraging :) Hopefully you at least get some ideas! New to Toys?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
What kind of toys have you tried so far? Lovebirds seem to be all over the map on what they like based on my customers' feedback :lol: But I will echo that many seem to enjoy balsa, sola, and mahogany, foraging, and anything "crunchy" like vine, palm, and seagrass.

A lot of the pet store toys have their wood cut "with the grain" which makes it super quick and easy to use a machine to cut it - but it is not as fun for a lot of birds as it takes a lot more effort to break it apart. Many don't see the point in expending all that effort! So starting with smaller toys, with softer materials, can help introduce them to the fun world of destruction!

Here's my "Intro" collection of toys that seem to be a hit with birds newer to chewing and foraging :) Hopefully you at least get some ideas! New to Toys?
A lot of those mass produced toys sit around for a long time, too, so the wood on their toys tends to be old and tough. :wtf: It's almost as if they have no clue as to what birds actually like. I'm super grateful to our vendors.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Let your bird do lots of foraging as some members said in the posts above! My birds really enjoy bird kabobs, and they are kinda toy picky as well.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Pico fav is anything he can shred a small paper bag cut top off so was left with bottom put holes in top and woven through the stalks off millet to close it up millet inside didn’t last long he loved it finger traps with millet seeds in middle paper on ends the tie wrapped it to cage he loved that too lollipop sticks safe for birds he loves chewing them n straws

I hope you find something he likes maybe he does play when ur not around lol

Drewald

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Donna Rewald

Thank you, I'll take a photo of them all together, I'm in Ontario Canada, and purchased some from an online store called The Parrot Shop, which is located in Ontario as well. All I purchased were meant for smaller birds I believe. I'll definitely have a look thank at your shop, if you're in the US it will take forever to get here unfortunately!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank you, I'll take a photo of them all together, I'm in Ontario Canada, and purchased some from an online store called The Parrot Shop, which is located in Ontario as well. All I purchased were meant for smaller birds I believe. I'll definitely have a look thank at your shop, if you're in the US it will take forever to get here unfortunately!!
I am in the US, but you don't have to buy anything from me to get an idea of the types of things I recommend :)

Here's some ideas for tips to get them playing too!

Drewald

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Donna Rewald
Here's some toys I have currently, some came with the cage itself, (a friend gifted it to me after her lovebird passed), some I've purchased. He's a spoiled boy but doesn't play with them!. Thank you for the information I'll read it all!

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah many of those I would not expect a lovebird to play with sadly! Those wood toys are all hard to break for smaller beaks because they are cut with the grain. So they don't chip, they need to break off a splinter instead. Some lovebirds LOVE that, but many don't. The shreddy types and the leather box... Try hiding treats inside to see changes his mind ;)

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
One of pico fav is this stuffed full of millet nurtiberri n seeds it’s actually a rabbit toy but he loves foraging in it at bottom of cage

Attachments