• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toys (or not!)

TheBirds

Sprinting down the street
I don't know if my two Linnies are an anomaly or not, but neither have ever shown much interest in toys in the two years we've had them. I've tried rotating things on a regular basis in case it's just boredom or being tired of the same thing, but that doesn't seem to help. Is this a Linne thing? They just seem so content to preen, eat, drink, bathe, and in the case of our olive green girl ... chirrup (you know, their Geiger counter sound) at me all day long so I'll look at her :laugh: Tonic has a fixation with bells (I think she's projecting and pretends it's a mate), and Coda only has eyes for the sisal carrot toy I tied to the corner of her cage to block her from grinding at the cage bars.

If anyone has any recommendations of toys popular with their Linnies .. I'm all ears.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My linnie LOVES toys. He is also a single bird though and fairly untame so that might be part of it?

He primarily likes toys I make, so while this seems like an advertisement I promise it isn't meant that way :lol:

Some of his favorites:

I also just got him this and he loves it too

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi is a single and she likes to play with toys. @Mizzely 's choices look just right for her. She especially likes toys that are long and dangling. She hangs from them, uses them to drop to a lower perch or to drape over her back. And a definite hit is any toy that has sola that is easily destroyed. She has a seagrass mat on the front of her cage and seagrass hut hanging from a play gym that she bites often. Oh and she has a swing type toy that she grabs from a distance, jumps on and swings back and forth. Here's a few things she has and likes.

B07F3N5QFM

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And this is by far her favorite toy. I just looked on Amazon and I have bought 6 of them (and maybe a few more from other dealers!) and then I bought the replacement sola pieces to rebuild them. I see it's no longer available but something along these lines might be a hit.

NorthernGannet

Mine ignored toys for the most part until I moved them into a 32x21 cage! Then suddenly they were playing like monkeys. This is despite having hours of out of cage time almost every day, and the previous cage was 25xwhatever. So, psychological? Not sure. Some days are more toy oriented than others.

They would like all the toys mentioned by previous posters! Sola wood, mahogany pods or pieces, loofa pieces once in a while, sea grass mats, woven palm or whatever it is toys, finger traps, sisal rope to chew on.

TheBirds

These are some really cool looking toys, thanks everyone for chiming in! I know my clownish Lovebirds would have gone nuts over them, but all this thread is doing is making me realize my girls are extra "special" :laugh:

NorthernGannet

These are some really cool looking toys, thanks everyone for chiming in! I know my clownish Lovebirds would have gone nuts over them, but all this thread is doing is making me realize my girls are extra "special" :laugh:
So do your two girls live together in a same cage harmoniously?

TheBirds

So do your two girls live together in a same cage harmoniously?
We housed them side by side for several months, then slowly introduced them and then they lived together until a squabble broke out. They're now side by side again, I'm hoping to house them together again in the future .. we'll see about that!

NorthernGannet

We housed them side by side for several months, then slowly introduced them and then they lived together until a squabble broke out. They're now side by side again, I'm hoping to house them together again in the future .. we'll see about that!
That would be nice!!!

TheBirds

My linnie LOVES toys. He is also a single bird though and fairly untame so that might be part of it?

He primarily likes toys I make, so while this seems like an advertisement I promise it isn't meant that way :lol:
I had a surprising amount of fun shopping your site, and look forward to adding them into our toy rotation! Some very creative designs you have :) Fingers crossed they do the trick, lol.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I had a surprising amount of fun shopping your site, and look forward to adding them into our toy rotation! Some very creative designs you have :) Fingers crossed they do the trick, lol.
Thank you! :heart2: I hope so too! Can't wait to hear if they like them! I think you picked out some good options to try! :)

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
In my experience mostly young and/or single linnies play with toys, most of my pairs ignore their toys, unless they can swing from them or tunnel through them.

TheBirds

In my experience mostly young and/or single linnies play with toys, most of my pairs ignore their toys, unless they can swing from them or tunnel through them.
Well that is a relief to hear, I really was starting to think I just had a couple of oddities! My two are younger, although I will say after their supervised "together" time yesterday Coda was in a much more playful mood when it was time to go back to her own cage - she started playing with a toy she usually ignores. (Well she ignores them all, but you get my point).

NorthernGannet

I've got one linnie who ignores all toys and only chews on other birds! Birds of a feather are my chew toys... lol. Needless to say, he's caged by himself (with toys he ignores) unless I ever find an already plucked linnie for him. So at least you don't have that problem :)