• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toys for male ekkie?

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I just adopted Cosmo, who is 22. His owner wanted him to be rehomed in his own cage, and I can tell his toys are old, as they are very faded. They’re pretty basic, for example bird bagels and coconut disks.

He is very leery of any new toy, so I’m not sure what to get him. What do your ekkies like?

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have an ekkie customer who LOVES Balsa. An expensive habit I'm sure!

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have an ekkie customer who LOVES Balsa. An expensive habit I'm sure!
Hoping I can get away with sola but balsa will be next.

Im realizing he just hasn’t been taught to play like my other two. Or forage like gcc bender - cockatiel lulu isnt smart or dexterous enough to do much of that.

I can even tell by watching him that he’s not accustomed to enrichment. He’s much more sedentary, never been allowed to fly, and regurgitates on his toys but doesn’t really play with them. Introducing him slowly to foot toys and using your described method on your site for hanging toys.

I’ve had other two since babies and they’re free-flighted and have always been raised with rotating toys and for the gcc, foraging. Since they were babies it was natural to teach them.

He’s an adult bird, and I’m realizing more and more that he’s just behind on the learning curve and doesn’t have the skills I came to expect in an adult bi

He watches the other two and seems to be learning a little. Any time my cockatiel lulu is out of her cage he wants in her cage so he can be next to bender. They eat together then take a nap together.

He and lulu are docile so they’re allowed out together with supervision. Bender is a punk and likely to pick a fit and get hurt, but they have a birdy bromance through cage bars!

Lulu has a flight cage so there’s plenty of room for Cosmo in it, but it’s funny to watch him lumber around on small perches while he tries to mimic his “big little brother” bender. The roosting perch is big and comfortable enough for their nap. :)

He came to me in such good shape that I assumed he’d come from a good home, but when I talked to his old mom she seemed pretty unbalanced. And watching him closely compared to my two, he definitely is accustomed to not having enough stimulation and pretty sedentary.

Attachments

LunaEkkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
I've found that my ekkie loves corrugated cardboard(shredding) toys or toys with ice cream sticks. It's something my conure enjoys too.

The cardboard toys can be used for foraging too.

Like any other living thing, your ekkie will also get bored of older toys... You should swap their toys often to keep them interested.

One of the things I like about the cardboard toys is they only last about a month so every month they get a new toy.

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
He came home in his cage from his old owner, along with his toys. I will rotate them out but he’s a little hesitant and regurgitates on some, so I will give those a good clean then put them back since he seems attached

None of his toys are all that shreddable and he hasn’t been taught to forage. We had a win today when I just put a big sola ball in his pellet bowl and he tore it up to access his pellets! He seems to enjoy shredding those now.

I think he will be good in the toy/foraging department. He just has to be taught slowly. Since he’s seemingly well-adjusted emotionally, I wrongly assumed he’d been taught to play in his old home.

Poor guy. Bright side is that he still came to me with no behavioral or health problems after 22 years in his first home. Imagine how he’ll be in a year when he’s enriched and on a better diet. Hopefully I’ll have one happy birdy!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Maybe you could get a bongo box from LMBT (Mizzely). Then you can try different textures and strengths, see what he likes and is able to play with.

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Maybe you could get a bongo box from LMBT (Mizzely). Then you can try different textures and strengths, see what he likes and is able to play with.
We’re having some success with sola balls and palm shredders!

It really didn’t occur to me that I would need to teach him to play. He didn’t look or act neglected when he came home, or at least what I envision a neglected bird looking like.

He’s very smart and an adult bird, so I just automatically assumed he’d know what to do with toys.

His old owner insisted he be adopted in his home cage. It’s reasonably sized and seemed like it might help him adapt more easily so that’s what I did.

He has plenty of toys, but they could easily be 15+ years old because they’re so faded. And he doesn’t really play with them other than to regurgitate on them.

I can see now that he’s never had enrichment or foraged. His toys weren’t ever rotated, so they’ve become just a backdrop he mostly ignores.

He also doesn’t like new things or changes, probably partly because he’s had the same setup . I’m introducing foot toys and in-bowl foraging. We will work up from that.

Crazy that an outwardly happy and well-adjusted bird was so neglected. The other bird that came from his home was a fully plucked blue crown conure. That poor little guy wears his scars.

Now Cosmo will know nothing but love from his humans and get the best possible care.

It’s likely I’ll move sometime in the next year. Once we’re settled in he will get a much bigger cage. Probably something like a double macaw cage with divider removed.

I believe in huge cages and free-flighted birds. My birds’ vets are always surprised at how well-muscled they are. Well, that’s because they fly so much. My cockatiel just comes out, flies a lap, lands on me, gets an scratch, and takes back off!

The trade off is that they’re constrained to “the bird room” to avoid escapes or dog attacks. But it’s where I spend most of my free time so they’re not just shoved into a back room. I WFH in their room most days. They’re the best coworkers, even though one of them screams at me. Luckily that’s my favorite little gremlin, bender the green cheek, who in my eyes can do no wrong!

Last edited: