• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toys for fledglings?

Manchas

Moving in
Real Name
Sara Zapata
I've been doing lots of preparations to get my first parrot, the breeder I'll be getting her from has been recommended by my local avian bird (and ofcourse she'll be giving me all the specific info I might need)
Anyways, the cockatiel will be given to me once it turns 30 days old, so mostly feathered but still hand feeding, what kind of toys should I offer? Is it better to offer them later? I've been making lots of diy toys and wanted to know if I should make something a little different for a younger tiel (since I'm scared she might swallow something or get tangled )

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Are you comfortable hand-feeding a baby bird? I haven't done it, so that's why I ask. Also, I doubt she'd swallow just anything, but wiser folks will chime in, I am sure. I got my Max as a baby, but he was closer to 2 months old and completely weened.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Mizzely might be able to offer advice

Manchas

Moving in
Real Name
Sara Zapata
Are you comfortable hand-feeding a baby bird?
I was a little scared at first but, after a lot of talking to the avian vet and a couple people I know who have hand fed babies, I feel more confident. I won't be taking on the task alone, I've been preparing my family as well to make sure everything goes perfect.
I wanted to look for a hand fed fully weaned one but since I want her to be an ESA my vet said it'd be better to go the one month old route

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For the babies I've been asked to make toys for, basically the direction I've been given is just use "mini" sized toys, and more simple vs complex (greater chance of entanglement with more complex toys). Foot toys are a good way to introduce a lot of textures with minimal risk. I would recommend more natural items or plastics you know they can't bite through. No foam, chewy rubber, cotton ropes, etc that they might accidentally eat.

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
When Phoenix was a fledgling he loved playing with those cat balls with the bells in them, I got some with holes big enough so his beak/toes couldn't get stuck
He also loved (and still loves) bells, but make sure they're safe! (Stainless steel, no extra parts they could get stuck on, etc)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I doubt she'd swallow just anything
Weaning birds don´t know what is food and are still learning. Some will ingest bedding. So it does happen and leads to crop impaction.
It´s why fine bedding is not recommended.
Any toy that can be shred into small pieces is a no no (like the things Shawna posted above, foam rubber ropes etc).

I was a little scared at first but, after a lot of talking to the avian vet and a couple people I know who have hand fed babies, I feel more confident.
Get a demo from the breeder. Do not leave with the bird until they have shown you in person how to do it. Call them in advance and tell them this is your intention so they can tell you what time to go there and not feed the bird before you arrive. Learning by watching, listening then doing and feeling is a much better way to learn.

Shawna gave some good ideas for toys. My lovebirds also enjoy the plastic cat balls like Britney suggested (hard plastic balls with bells inside). Hard plastic and SS foot toys are fun to toss around too. Swings are also nice for birds, as well as boings (spiral hanging swing-type item).

Manchas

Moving in
Real Name
Sara Zapata
Get a demo from the breeder. Do not leave with the bird until they have shown you in person how to do it.
I will! ^^ the breeder is going to hand it to me at the vet, so I made a special appointment for them to show me all the ins and outs of hand feeding and more specific care, which apparently is becoming quite common around here (I live in a third world country so it was pretty unexpected to be honest)

Manchas

Moving in
Real Name
Sara Zapata
When Phoenix was a fledgling he loved playing with those cat balls with the bells in them, I got some with holes big enough so his beak/toes couldn't get stuck
My boyfriend's budgie has one of those that he never uses for some reason, but that's a great idea! haven´t thought about those