• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

'Toys' for eclectus.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I have been getting so many questions about 'toys' (enrichment) for ekkies. First and foremost- I have natural Java wood trees throughout- but on another note: This is what I procure/make myself. I hope people find it helpful :)

About to make new enrichment:

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 2.10.42 PM.png

End result... I jingled the sea shells and the birds started flocking to my shoulder, very distracting! LOL

Last edited:

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Very cool! I'm going to have to try out some dangling shells for my Ekki. He loves his SS bell, so dangling shells will probably be a huge hit.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Very cool! I'm going to have to try out some dangling shells for my Ekki. He loves his SS bell, so dangling shells will probably be a huge hit.
This is how it lays now-
... Of course fresh chop is number one, but chop is wet and a bacteria ground.
But having an amazing dry counterpart to forage is brilliant! ... And the birds love it.

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 5.15.08 PM.png

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@Nikomania
Need to make another order- my guys just love the freeze dried. How large can you make the pieces? Im thinking the bigger the better, so I can string them up on a hemp rope? So I will need to drill a hole in the pieces.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I can chop them any size. However the food might be too brittle without its water content to be able to drill any holes into the food.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I can chop them any size. However the food might be too brittle without its water content to be able to drill any holes into the food.
I think im willing to risk it? Its on me if it doesnt work. Im going to do a bit of experimenting... the most important for ekkies is the fruits, carrots and squashes... Ill PM you ;)