• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toys for a 1 footed Zebra Finch??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
We have just adopted a new fid. I've never had such a tiny bird- a friend at a local shelter called about him- he's 6 years old and only has one foot and no one would adopt him. He moves around just fine but the little isolation cage sure looks bare with no toys :( So here I am looking for ideas.
Also, does he need any kind of grit in his diet?? I keep hearing conflicting views. He sure is sweet. We need a name too. Anne L. do you have any ideas?, he looks like your wee Fletcher did.:):)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
awwwwwwwww congratulations.....no, no grit....we had a crippled finch...we put a platform in his cage...he loved it...just a piece of plywood that runs the length of the cage and about 4 inches wide..or you could buy a platform..finches love those dangling baskets...make sure you put it close to the perch, platform..we also had a mirror with a bell on it for Fletcher...we hung it right by the platform...and they love millet..also they love veggies...we gave Fletcher broccoli every day...that was his all time fave...and of course scrambled eggs etc.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I just realized in answering this that you asked me specifically lol...Fletcher loved his toys...I sure miss him a lot...make sure the toys are withing reach though and nothing too big and overwhelming..we used to kind of lay the millet on the platform...secure at one end so he would have easy access..bless you for taking him in.. put a little bowl at the bottom of the cage with chopped up broccoli and other treats...use a m argarine lid if necessary...

JRFamily

Moving in
Real Name
Shannon Armstrong
Hi,
I use this with ALL birds...
I get "Twist Paper" from the craft store. I cut one long piece long enough to string from one end to the other side of the cage. I then cut about 10 -15 six inch pieces and tie them in a knot around the longer piece. Then after you have all of them tied on the long piece, the fun begins....
Start opening them up and fanning them out. Do this until your fingers bleed or you are done which ever comes first! Hahaha! They have a blast pulling on them chewing on them and they are light enough to stand on them. No hard pieces to get hurt on or stuck in! You can also use toys they advertise for small size animals like hamsters, They have a wooden dowel with a dried apple on it that the little Beep-Beeps like (my name for finches). You can put a glue free toilet roll in there, so he can walk in it and chew while standing, so he's not trying to balance and falling. I hope these gave you some ideas. Remember, little mirrors and beads. Other little Beep-Beeps would give him company and teach him how to get around!:)
Good luck and Have fun!

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
aww thats so sweet we had a finch a couple years ago that couldnt fly and lived on the lower perches of the cage we called him hopper he was the only finch ive ever really had that was well socialized. you could name yours hopper if you want :D

Status
Not open for further replies.