• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toys and Stimulation

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
Sunflower is five months old now and she is a busy little birdie. She has free reign of the house about 90% of the day. We have made her a variety of toys, but she much prefers things that are not designed for birds. She is a pretty picky bird. I'm a little worried that she is not getting enough stimulation. She likes foraging, but doesn't seem to enjoy foraging puzzles.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some bird toys/puzzles for the discerning GCC?

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Give her what she likes. Make her a foraging box that looks off limits or use unique items that may appeal to her that are bird safe. Be creative!

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
She has a lot foot toys that are just hair ties with knots in them. She also has a bottle with a straw that sits on the table that is just for her.

DJR

Meeting neighbors
Did you try kids toys, like plastic miniature pots and pans or a small stacking tower for babies. You can easily sit down with Sunflower and play with the toys hiding some treats inside the toys so Sunflower can forage or discover the toys on her own. That is what helped with my bird Phoenix, who did not even blinked at toys before I introduced them properly with some yummy treats:p

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
We haven't tried stacking blocks, but we do sit down with Sunflower to play with her toys. She just prefers to play with the computer mouse and the cell phone case. We shall have to try the blocks.

DJR

Meeting neighbors
We haven't tried stacking blocks, but we do sit down with Sunflower to play with her toys. She just prefers to play with the computer mouse and the cell phone case. We shall have to try the blocks.
Haha and is this because she sees you busy with the computer mouse and wants to play with it then or is it because she is actually not allowed to play with it? Or just none of the above and really finds the computer mouse interesting :wacky:

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
Our mouses light up, and mine changes colors. She loves things that light up.

DJR

Meeting neighbors
Our mouses light up, and mine changes colors. She loves things that light up.
Well can't blame her because I would probably love these computer mouses too. Maybe some baby/kid toys with led lights will work? Like bouncing balls with led lights. Only make sure the material is hard enough so she can not chew through or take bites out of it.