• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toy suggestion for an African Grey

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
short story: looking at an atom or a rope coil: something to extend the play space off a cage.

long story: I bought Louise a 26x38x68 inches high cage and a cage that is 23x32 41 inches high guest cage for my friend's grey when he visits for socialization. Louise now spends all her time in the smaller cage/they are side by side and she can move freely between the cages when there is no visitor. I am looking at doing a cage swap with my friend for a bunch of reasons so she will take the cage Louise likes the least. I am surprised that Louise likes the smaller cage-thought birds would gravitate to the largest... but she seems to definitely prefer the smaller cage. To make sure she stays entertained, I am thinking of attaching either an atom or boing/rope coil to extend her play area when t he large cage moves out. (the new guest cage will be a smaller cage that my friend's grey lives in: she has been looking for a larger cage for him and I can store the new guest cage/not have it out all the time). pic of both my current cages are attached.

Wondering what the best choice will be, a large rope atom, a rope coil, or something else.
thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I agree...get both!
Also, have a look at a play net....The Crawler is a very nice product to extend and enhance a play area or beside a cage. It's at Olivers Garden Bird Toys. Greys love them. There are other types of nets as well, from other vendors.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I agree...get both!
Also, have a look at a play net....The Crawler is a very nice product to extend and enhance a play area or beside a cage. It's at Olivers Garden Bird Toys. Greys love them. There are other types of nets as well, from other vendors.
going to look right now, thank you! ok, found that... how does one hang it? looks interesting...

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
going to look right now, thank you! ok, found that... how does one hang it? looks interesting...
You want to hang it using PVC pipe to ensure your bird won't do what comes naturally - head up to the ceiling!
Use heavy duty eye bolts to attach to ceiling. Run SS chain, or even nickel plated chain or heavy plastic chain, through the PVC....then add a heavy duty quick link, attached to the actual net itself.

noice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Anna
I just wanted to say your dogs are adorable.
That's all :p
It looks like you've gotten some good advice. I hope Louise likes her present!