• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toy Recommendations for Shaken Bird?

LeahOcarina

Moving in
Real Name
Leah
Hello! Haven't posted in over a year so I'm super sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

So to make a long story short, my friend's cockatiel has been a bit off recently. Some stuff happened with an ex-member of the household the poor little guy is rightfully terrified of, and he heard my friend and her family keep saying ex-member's name. That was a while ago, and I can tell he's still a little shaken up. Since they have to get their car repaired, I'd like to be the one to get him a thing or two to help cheer him up. Do you guys have any suggestions of something that might help occupy his mind? I'm asking here because my friend is an absolute sweetheart who doesn't want to put me out, so she tends to suggest really cheap toys when I offer. (Don't worry, she won't mind if I do it myself haha) Anyway, his current set up is mostly just chews and shreds, so I thought I might ask if you guys have any recommendations for things that are a bit more engaging? He's never had a foot toy to my knowledge, so I wouldn't even know where to start with that. Any suggestions would be welcome and sorry if this comes out weird. My forum skills are rusty lol

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Mizzely may have some ideas :)

I hope your friend and their family, including her ´Tiel are all ok now

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm out for the night so don't have much time to talk, but this might help :)

LeahOcarina

Moving in
Real Name
Leah
@Mizzely may have some ideas :)

I hope your friend and their family, including her ´Tiel are all ok now
Everyone's safe! No worries. Poor guy just got a little spooked.

I'm out for the night so don't have much time to talk, but this might help :)

Ooh thanks! This is going to be super helpful. They look right up his ally. I really appreciate it!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Something to be aware of is how to introduce a new toy. It's tempting to stick a new toy straight into the cage, assuming that the bird will be delighted with a fun new plaything, but this is more likely to frighten a timid bird. From their perspective, it's an unknown object and may be big, colourful and scary!

A better approach is to have the toy outside the cage for a few days, picking it up and playing with it yourself. You can then try hanging it outside the cage and waiting for the bird to become accustomed to it. Only actually put it in the cage when the bird is relaxed around it.

LeahOcarina

Moving in
Real Name
Leah
Something to be aware of is how to introduce a new toy. It's tempting to stick a new toy straight into the cage, assuming that the bird will be delighted with a fun new plaything, but this is more likely to frighten a timid bird. From their perspective, it's an unknown object and may be big, colourful and scary!

A better approach is to have the toy outside the cage for a few days, picking it up and playing with it yourself. You can then try hanging it outside the cage and waiting for the bird to become accustomed to it. Only actually put it in the cage when the bird is relaxed around it.
My friend is really good about that, so no worries there! Thank you :)

LeahOcarina

Moving in
Real Name
Leah
Extra sweet of you to care for your friend's feathered friend! It's one of my favorite things to get gifts for my fids!
Apparently I wasn't nice enough. My friend and I were talking about how there were 'no ladders' in the batch of 'presents' and he started screaming until I told him yes, I will get him one. Maybe I spoil him a bit too much haha!

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Apparently I wasn't nice enough. My friend and I were talking about how there were 'no ladders' in the batch of 'presents' and he started screaming until I told him yes, I will get him one. Maybe I spoil him a bit too much haha!
No such thing!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Very nice of you to do this. Although not a toy, something my tiels like- and it's good I think for shy birds, is just to weave some strips of papers through the cage bars for them to chew on.

LeahOcarina

Moving in
Real Name
Leah
Very nice of you to do this. Although not a toy, something my tiels like- and it's good I think for shy birds, is just to weave some strips of papers through the cage bars for them to chew on.
Thanks! I don't have a fid of my own to spoil, luckily for Teto, so he gets all the toys instead haha I'll let my friend know! He has a perch that has a slot for shredded paper and he loves it, so I bet he'd have a good time with that too.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I hope you managed to cheer your friends bird up and remind him that he is the most important member and ruler of the house lol!!

You are a terribly sweet person for doing this for your friends bird- I hope you get as much enjoyment seeing your gifts being appreciated as the bird gets from all the new stuff you got :)

LeahOcarina

Moving in
Real Name
Leah
I hope you managed to cheer your friends bird up and remind him that he is the most important member and ruler of the house lol!!

You are a terribly sweet person for doing this for your friends bird- I hope you get as much enjoyment seeing your gifts being appreciated as the bird gets from all the new stuff you got :)
It definitely does! He's a smart one who tends to remember which person gives him a gift, so if he hears me over the phone and happens to be playing with something I got him, he'll praise me as a reward. I think that's a pretty fair trade in my opinion!