• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toy Question for SS Vendors and/or GW owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I for one, would LOVE to hear toy suggestions from the SS vendors or shopper-members, for GW macaws.

Our 'baby' GW is almost 2, and no one really prepared us for how destructive these big guys are.

We prefer buying toys without plastic parts...
Could those who don't mind taking the time to reply, please list your suggestions for GW toys?

Thank you in advance!
Doris

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Hi Doris, I am not a vendor, but I have ordered from Perfectly Parrot. Kathy and I have baby blue and gold's about the same age and she has made some excellent suggestions. One thing that I bought, from her suggestions, was the foraging perch. Jack absolutely loves it and chews on it for hours. I just put it on the top of his cage and he chews the heck out of it. I like buying from Kathy because she has a big bird and can understand their specific needs. I am sure she will be on to make more suggestions, but I wanted to tell you about my experience. I would love to see a pic of your baby!

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Thank you for your response; I appreciate it!

Mijo is our 'baby'....here he is:)

Doris

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
I just love those big beaks! He looks absolutely adorable... and maybe a little mischievious...lol

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I found that Iggy's has the most and most appropriate GW toys. Like you I never get plastic in toys, because the birds eat the plastic (I don't care what they say about plastic for big birds). I also found three good GW toys that have no dyes, no plastic at Avian Antics. My GWs just want something to destroy and I want something that can't hurt them.

Don't feel bad, no one can prepare you for what a full grown GW can do.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I found that Iggy's has the most and most appropriate GW toys. Like you I never get plastic in toys, because the birds eat the plastic (I don't care what they say about plastic for big birds). I also found three good GW toys that have no dyes, no plastic at Avian Antics. My GWs just want something to destroy and I want something that can't hurt them.

Don't feel bad, no one can prepare you for what a full grown GW can do.
Thank you....we've had parrots for almost 30 years, and had a B&G for several years but never a GW macaw. There`s simply no comparison. I really appreciate your reply. Thank you.
I agree 100% re: the plastic. It`s simply not OK for large birds.

Doris

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Iggy's has different toys than Perfectly Parrot? Can you tell us some examples Mary Lynn? I would be interested in a list of some different toys to see how they add up with the sale coming up on Friday

Last edited:

Tamara

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tamara R Money
I'll give you some good ideas for some baby macaws:
Since it is a baby, but still old enough for adult toys I would recommend
Extra Large Bird Toys

The bigger pinatas and shreddable toys would be good as well.
Shreddable & Preening Toys

I'm working on a more specific list for you from what my macaw customers have bought. :)

iggysbirds

Real Name
Stephanie
We have had several greenwings, scarlets and blue and golds in through the rescue, so we test all of our toys out on them. The plastic doesn't usually last as long. The large toys with knots, lots of wood and leather seem to do great. A favorite of our B&G is the hula monkey and kitty and for cheaper toys we have the pyramid stack, stacks of 12 and stacks of 14 and truly triangular all on heavy duty stainless steel. The block attacks also go over well with the nickel plated chain through the middle and the leather through both sides.:D Hope that helps

www.iggysbirds.com/birdtoys
Don't forget to email in orders since our cart is on the blink until our designer gets back. The email is iirbsinc@gmail.com and iirbsinc@aol.com

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
LOL Tamara. I guess I didn't want a list of all available toys, but suggestions for specific toys that are popular with the larger birds. Alot of stores are aimed more at the smaller guys, but I need toys for the large and xlarge birds.

Stephanie, thank you for the knowledgeable and informative response. I have to go check out your suggestion and get ready to place my order with you on Friday. Oh lordy, my lists are getting long...lol. Thank you again for the great response.

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
I have many more suggestions if you would like! The sales I have going on on Friday would be very helpful for you!

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
LOL Tamara. I guess I didn't want a list of all available toys, but suggestions for specific toys that are popular with the larger birds. Alot of stores are aimed more at the smaller guys, but I need toys for the large and xlarge birds.

Stephanie, thank you for the knowledgeable and informative response. I have to go check out your suggestion and get ready to place my order with you on Friday. Oh lordy, my lists are getting long...lol. Thank you again for the great response.
Hehe... See my second post. I posted a few popular ones that my macaw customers have bought before. :) I have more to suggest if you want more!

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Woahhh Stephanie, I never visited your site, but wow do you have some awesome toys for the big guys! I definitely have to the have the hula monkey.... I bust out laughing when I saw it. Jack is going to love it. Thanks again.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Another thing I never let the birds have is rawhide. They eat it and if it gets wet bacteria can grow in it.

Wood, wood and more wood to destroy and make toothpicks out of. I also went to the hardware store and bought seveal different stainless steel nuts. u bolts etc. and put them all together in a long toy. Jasper likes that one because she is a Jr. engineer.

That http://www.trueloveaviary.com/plplnaclla.html is Hank's all time favorite toy, but he goes through one a day and $20/day is too rich for my pocketbook.
ML

Last edited:

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
I do not own a GW, but I have seen them in action and OH BOY! I know with E, its not IF its destroyed, but how long it takes him lol. Here are some of my suggestions.

I love the Star Bird line. Their stuff is great! The Fine Vine Swing is a hit

Super Bird also makes some really great stuff Such as the Beakasaurus it has a plastic ball at the top but that is the only plastic part.

Planet Pleasures has this Two Tier Coco-feeder that is a great way to keep them busy

There is another one I am trying to find that they have in the GWs cage at the pet store I visit I will send that link when I find it, he seems to really enjoy it.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
ML, tracie maybe Team Skinner would like Starbird vine, Kiwi hacks away at that rope like crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.