• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toy making class/party ideas?

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
I am in need of advice! Sometimes (often?) I get in over my head when I offer up ideas, and this may be a case of that...

Within the last few months, birds from a large confiscation last year were made available for adoption at the shelter where I volunteer, and many of these birds went to employees and volunteers of the shelter, along with family and friends. A few volunteers have posted pictures and asked questions about their new birds in a volunteer FB group we have, including questions about toys. I had made a few toys and hung them in some cages when the birds were all at the shelter, and a few were like shredding machines, destroying those toys in a minute! Most of them had never had toys, or were too frightened or stressed to play, and this included my bird. I really had to work with her to show her how to play (it is ongoing but she is a good student!). Anyway...

A few people in this FB group casually mentioned that they were clueless about toys for birds and that they would appreciate any information I could offer.

Truly this is the longest way ever of asking: have you ever hosted a toy making party or class? My thought was to keep it kind of small but that I could order all the parts (SWS!) and then come up with a few easy designs that everyone could make and go home with. For example, the simple "string" of natural and teal parts works out to about $2.85 or something; I would just add up the cost of the parts for whatever we did and collect money at the event (maybe make 2 simple-ish toys and 1 more-involved one?). Then everyone would go home with a few toys, or the parts to make those toys at least, and some resources for buying more parts (or toys) themselves. I am planning on the shelter allowing us to use a room there for a couple hours :)angelic:), so there would be no cost in that... I really kind of miss volunteering with all those birdies, but I am glad they are in stable homes. My intention for doing this is really to support other bird adopters and share stories, but it could also be just a one-time, "hey this is cool" thing.

Am I asking for a heap of trouble? Would you attend a "party" like this? What have I not thought of that might cause problems? Pictures are of some toys that my bird has enjoyed (and the third one, that I enjoyed making and was proud of, but that my bird ended up avoiding altogether)...

IMG_6005.jpeg IMG_5969.jpeg IMG_5907.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think hosting a group is a great idea. Not sure how you would work it out in terms of money and paying for parts etc but the idea is good.
Keep in mind that some birds like different types of toys and some can´t be given certain things either due to pica or hormonal problems.
Maybe you could put together a toy FAQ page and print a copy for attendees; safe items, non-safe items, simple ideas etc

I´m sure there was someone who went to a toy making group, and I´m sure they posted resources, I´ll see if I can dig that out...
2.chickrun.gif

edit; I found the thread I was thinking of, they didn´t post the info sheet in the end I don´t think. But you get the idea of some of the things they made in the pictures. Things with paper (non waxy) plates, paper, pasta, paper cups

Maybe you could invite those people to Join AA and have a read through our DIY Drive . Tonnes of ideas and DIY ideas for all budgets and beak sizes :)

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Our local parrot club did this and I was overjoyed to go! It was in the early days and I had absolutely no idea about toys!

I loved it and learned a lot.

I even attended one of those classes at a retreat at Phoenix Landing.

You need to get an idea of the size of the birds..... budgies or macaws? That matters.

This is so cool of you to do.

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
you could also try just having a standard fee like 15 dollars per person where if 10 people signed up you could use the 150 to get parts, and have some leftover too for the shelter or smthing else

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
These are great ideas and things that I should consider (but hadn’t thought of before)! I will let you all know if/when it ever gets past this planning stage