• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toxic Plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

komodeno

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nadejda or just Nadia
Is this plats toxic for my parrots : 1. Arabian Jasmine tree
2 Desert Rose (adenium obesum)
I search info especially for the rose but did not find anything specifically about the parrots and the plants. The rose is toxic to humans but I'm not sure if it is for parrots.
If any one can provide me with more info will be great.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Need the advice on an expert on this so sorry not able to help. Do know the house plants I have to avoid and also no longer keep because of the risk to my birds. The way they just destroyed my plants anyway made me decide it was the birds or the plants and so they went! Good luck in finding out.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
The Desert Rose (adenium obesum) is a truly beautiful plant and can be grown indoors. I have one with my other exotic plants in a separate room off of our office. Since we live in a very cold climate, it is under a gro light. The door to this room is also locked. I like to make sure that none of my birds have any chance to come in contact with any of these plants. The plant has many poisonous parts and you must not have it anywhere near your birds or small children who might get it in their mouths. When you prune this plant you must wash your hands and pruning shears. If you use gloves, wash these too separately. The sap is very bad stuff. It is used to make poison arrows. So many beautiful plants like this are very dangerous! The flowers are gorgeous though. I hope this was helpful to you. I think you can find lists of dangerous houseplants and other plants in the internet.
Katherine
:heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.