• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toxic Plants

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Last week we had a meeting of the seniors that live here. AT the end of the meeting they had a table full of plants to give out to the ladies. I chose a really pretty one and later found out it was a coleus. I loved the multiclored leaves. Something told me to look it up and sure enough toxic to cats and dogs. I gave the plant to someone that had no pets.

Association of Avian Veterinarians (AAV)
44m ·
Oleander (Nerium oleander) is a well-known toxic plant that has caused poisonings in many different animal species and humans. But is it a concern for birds?
Oleander is cardiotoxic owing to its cardiac glycosides, which by disrupting electrical activity in the heart, can cause arrhythmia or cardiac arrest. Symptoms may include sudden death, lethargy and weakness, incoordination and collapse, rapid and weak pulse, vomiting, diarrhea, hypersalivation (drooling), and abdominal pain. All parts of the plant are toxic; horses and cattle grazing on oleander leaves can die after eating as little as 0.005% of their body weight, or put another way, 40-50 milligrams per kilogram of body weight.
Visit our blog for the full post:
#AAVbirdtales #birdhealth #birdsofinstagram #avianhealth #avianvet #avianveterinarian #birdtales #aavmember #parrots #avianmedicine #parrotlover #parrotlife #oleander #toxic-plants