• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Toxic plant...maybe?

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë
i have this plant in the same room as the flock next to their cage, they haven’t shown any interest in it but i would like to know if it is dangerous for them.
Does anyone know the name of it?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Screenshot_20171105-034428.png

I recently downloaded this app. It's called Pl@ntNet. I realize that you are in Holland and I am in California, USA, but this sure looks like the same plant to me. Don't know if it's toxic or not... you'll have to research. Hope this helped!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I honk Alien J is right, looks like the same one and if so probably toxic, cause I think all fiscus plants are toxic but not sure!

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
View attachment 259980

I recently downloaded this app. It's called Pl@ntNet. I realize that you are in Holland and I am in California, USA, but this sure looks like the same plant to me. Don't know if it's toxic or not... you'll have to research. Hope this helped!

It looks different than the weeping fig, it has less leaves and they are bigger. But it might be.

That looks like a philodendron of some sort, they are poison. Better safe if your not sure.

The philodendrons look more like it but I can’t find any with the white around the edges.

I honk Alien J is right, looks like the same one and if so probably toxic, cause I think all fiscus plants are toxic but not sure!

I’ll just remove it to be sure, since it looks very similar to the toxic ones. I don’t want to take the risk. Thanks guys!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Luckily I don’t have any cats or dogs, is it just as toxic for birds?
Most things that are toxic to them are also toxic to birds, as birds are way more sensitive and smaller. But not Always, but if you know it is toxic to them and unsure about how toxic it is to birds it is better to take it out

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
Most things that are toxic to them are also toxic to birds, as birds are way more sensitive and smaller. But not Always, but if you know it is toxic to them and unsure about how toxic it is to birds it is better to take it out
Yeah i will, as you can see on the pics it is drying a little bit. So i have to take it out either way. I’ll make sure the next plant I pick is non-toxic and perchable.

Last edited:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yeah i will, as you can see on the pics it is drying a little bit. So i have to take it out either way. I’ll make sure the next plant I pick is non-toxic and perchable.
They would love that! Mine love chewing up my plants! Tiki and Henkie only nibbled a bit and Played in them, but when Fëanor came home hell broke loose, silly boy. In less then a week he completly destroyed all the leaves of a 1,5 meter tree! It know regained most of his leaves so it is ready to be destroyed again. He is not as destircible as in the beginning, I think because he had Discovered toys to Chew on

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
They would love that! Mine love chewing up my plants! Tiki and Henkie only nibbled a bit and Played in them, but when Fëanor came home hell broke loose, silly boy. In less then a week he completly destroyed all the leaves of a 1,5 meter tree! It know regained most of his leaves so it is ready to be destroyed again. He is not as destircible as in the beginning, I think because he had Discovered toys to Chew on
Wow that boy has a talent! Must be shocking to come home to a plucked tree, At least they had a blast though :rofl:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Team he does! I was sitting in top of my bed and I heard weird sounds so I looked down and there he was munching away on the leaves! I don't really mind, that tree was for them and I expected they would kill it a few weeks but it has been here for over a year now so it's doing really well!

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
Team he does! I was sitting in top of my bed and I heard weird sounds so I looked down and there he was munching away on the leaves! I don't really mind, that tree was for them and I expected they would kill it a few weeks but it has been here for over a year now so it's doing really well!
Is that the tree on your profile picture?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I would not let my birds chew and eat any plants at all. That they are not poison it's not the same as they are good for eating.
And the soil can be very dangerous to them too. (mold that you can't see)
The only safe plants for them to eat is organic herbs.

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
I would not let my birds chew and eat any plants at all. That they are not poison it's not the same as they are good for eating.
And the soil can be very dangerous to them too. (mold that you can't see)
The only safe plants for them to eat is organic herbs.
I agree, it’s not like i want them to eat it but just for it to be fine if they would nip at it or perch when they are outside of their cage

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
The tree in my profile picture is a bunch of willow leaves I use to make little play things for them, I stick branches in Wiffle balls or tie them together, Weave object out of them like swings or orbits. They really like that! I don't have a picture of the tree right now but don't imagine a grand willow tree:rofl: doesn't really have a lot of Side branches or Something.