• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Toxic fumes

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
The vet said it was very possible Basil had hemolysis, since we were also working with the assumption of fume poisoning as well and hemolysis is common with Teflon poisoning (and also the heart murmur). I just looked up the other symptoms of hemolytic anemia and:

:eek:

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
Also my vet said that hemolysis can happen anywhere (basically the RBCs get misshapen and rupture, and their contents get released into the surrounding fluid. It is a type of bleeding essentially so it can easily lead to anemia). If it happens outside the GI tract you won’t see blood in the stool so it can be a silent killer...
We didn’t get a confirmation on the hemolysis or the anemia however since she was so weak but it was her speculation because of the heart murmur.

That’s so scary, I’m glad your caique is okay and nothing happened!! I will also let my vet know Rocky’s symptoms, I truly wonder how many other cases there are out there that are similar to hers/ours..

Last edited:

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My guess is that she is anemic because she is suffering a GI bleed. There are lab values you can look for in humans, and changes in the rbc’s when reviewing the blood smear, to indicate hemolysis; however, in light of the dark stools, I suspect Basil has a GI bleed. Are her stools still dark? If they dont improve, I think she might need to go back to the vet, or at least call her. Also, ask if she can give iron.

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
My guess is that she is anemic because she is suffering a GI bleed. There are lab values you can look for in humans, and changes in the rbc’s when reviewing the blood smear, to indicate hemolysis; however, in light of the dark stools, I suspect Basil has a GI bleed. Are her stools still dark? If they dont improve, I think she might need to go back to the vet, or at least call her. Also, ask if she can give iron.
They were still dark when i went to bed, she’s still sleeping so I’ll check in a bit. My vet unfortunately doesn’t come in until Friday so I made an appointment with someone else who sees birds at the same clinic, she’s not certified ABVP like my usual doctor but I’ve heard good things! Will ask and mention Rocky, hopefully all goes well.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I hope the vet visit went well. Here is a copy of things that were done at the vet. I hope it helps.

Is she doing any better?

48EDF1FC-ED14-42F9-A219-2DF949A0902C.jpeg

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
This is super helpful, thank you sooo much!!! :hug8:

Poor baby, what a scary five days it must have been for you both.. just looking at this is absolutely nervewracking :sad11: the vet I saw this time was very cautious and kept reiterating how she didn’t want to do tests that required putting Basil under unless absolutely necessary (she was nervous about it and wanted to wait until Basil was stronger).. seeing your receipt and that difference shocks me! Rocky must be such a fighter, being so weak during all these tests but still beating it!!

The vet confirmed that there was blood in her stools as we suspected.. she did not give Basil iron though. Her reasoning was that because Basil is really small, the iron could easily become a toxin if there was too much of it, and since Basil had been poisoned earlier, it was probably not a good idea to risk it. That coupled with the fact that she was taking her formula and eating was a good sign that she’d bounce back. (Was sort of perplexed at first since Rocky took it and was fine but I’m sure she’s way more qualified than I am! ;))

Basil is on daily meds in the mean time. Unfortunately none of the clinics in the area have access to a CT machine, but my regular vet wanted to do an xray next week. I’ll text her Rocky’s diagnoses as well.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Rocky actually recovered fairly quickly considering how sick she was. I'm glad Basil is not getting worse. I think the vet told me that birds can replenish blood cells fairly rapidly, so your vet's reasoning for not administering iron sounds reasonable, since Basil is not getting weaker. Small animal CT scanners are pretty rare I think. I dont know that it added much, to be honest, but it probably helped to rule out some diagnoses. I hope your little girl keeps improving. We are all rooting for her!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I wonder if Jasper had something similar several several years ago. She had black stools, was very weak and Dr. kept her for three days. He said that he needed to give the medication. I'm sorry I can't remember a lot about the illness and truthfully I didn't ask Dr. a lot of questions - I was going through some severe family issues at the same time and I trust Dr. Driggers completely.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Hankmacaw Very interesting. I wonder if it was the same illness too. Dr. Driggers treated Rocky also.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I wonder too. I'll write to him and ask him.

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
Please let us know what he says! I was just telling rockybird that my vet is good friends with Dr Driggers and his wife, so maybe they both’ll speculate together.