• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tough stuff

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Gracie is doing good with her ear finally. Only took forever for it to clear up lol.

Bo went in for his check up as well and for the feather plucking that has gotten to be worse all of a sudden and a few things have come to light about this new development. His person is no longer with us and I am pretty sure this is one of the big factors of the plucking. Grandma is not watching TV as much as she use to and he loves to watch TV. Yes he is a perch potato, he has a thing for Jerry Springer and the Jeopardy theme song. I have to ask my husband to let me have a recording of his mom to play for Bo since she was his person. I wish I had one of her when she would whistle to him and sing to him because I know he misses singing and dancing to her like he did when she would come over to visit. I am hoping it works as hard as it is going to be for all of us.

He is also 7 grams under weight so he is allowed to have peanut butter and bread. I have been making sure the TV is on and it is helping with some of the plucking. I gave him some seeds yesterday and he yelled at his food dish but 5 minutes later he was eating. I am going to try and give him some 12 grain bread today with some peanut butter and see how that goes. The vet also said the avi-calm would be good since he is a high stress bird. Here is too hoping my shy guy will get some weight on him.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can you tape Jeopardy for him?

Hubby and I are devoted to it also. We tape it and watch it every night during dinner. I guess the amazons aren't that impressed since they haven't picked up the theme song.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
He watches a church channel during the day because this is what Grandma wants to watch all day. He isn't very impressed with it to say the least. He likes the judge TV shows for sure. I am going to have my husband just turn on the TV at 700 in the evening for him so he can watch it. I know Bo misses it and the vet know he needs the talking and stimulation going on because even though he wants me to play with him, I am not allowed to stay for too long before he gets all weirded out.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Suggest you make some birdie bread. My budgies just cant get enough. I do buy a ready made mix on amazon but add several different nutritious foods like pumpkin puree, sweet potatoes, coconut oil, soaked pellets (in organic apple juice), greens, carrots and anything else I have at the ready. Baby foods are good too if they are low in iron. Hope Gracie continues to thrive in your care.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:sadhug:

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
He is very skittish and does not like new food or things at all. It takes him over a year to adjust to a new toy. Foods he will dump them on the floor. I am going to take my vets advice and go with the grain bread and a little peanut butter or maybe some almond butter. If he likes that I will take a step with some other things to try and get his weight up. It just breaks my heart that my mother in law is no longer here and seeing how much Bo misses her as much as we all do. This was her favorite time of the year and she would always spend a lot of time with us usually 2 or three months so I know he is feeling it a lot right now.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about your mother-in-law. Sounds as if Bo really loved her. Hope he will stop plucking.
Go with almond butter (unsalted) instead of peanut butter.
Funny regarding the shows he likes. Jaden likes to watch crime shows and the news but I rarely put any crime shows on TV any more.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Since I have been making sure the TV is on he is letting some of his feathers grow back slowly. He is singing and being more vocal which is good as well and being more himself. He was very close to her and it has been almost two years but this is the first full year without her being here and I am sure he is noticing it.

Do you know if they carry the almond butter over at Sprouts? If they do I can go pick some up this weekend since I am off.

They both have their things they like to watch. Bo I think likes how animated they get on court TV and on Jerry Springer and Gracie she just wants me to watch her lol. If I don't she yells at me :meh: