• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toucan feeding

Dutch

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jay
I have 2 one year old rescued chestnut mandibled toucans. They are getting a mixture of clean river water blended with bananas, tomatoes, papaya, and high quality dog food blended and fed through a syringe to avoid them eating too much papaya. I got them as babies, and they seem to be doing great. Anything I cn do better? They also get a fresh bath of the clean river water 1-2 times per day.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
can we see pictures of ur fids, i love toucans sooooo much! :xflove:

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Can't wait to see their pictures, and welcome!

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you provide them clean filtered water rather than water from a river, and if they're adults and can eat solid food and by themselves you may wanna consider mazuri low iron soft bill pellets over dog food, because toucans are known to have hemosiderosis and hemochromatosis which leads to their bodies storing too much iron, and to provide them a greater variety of fruit such as bananas, blueberries, and grapes as well as other safe tropical fruit in addition to the papaya, but if they're still babies and can't eat solid food i would say its fine and to just change the water to filtered water, also try to avoid highly acidic fruits/ veggies like tomatoe.

Best foods for pet toucans | Mazuri Exotic Animal Nutrition this is agreat source with lots of info

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
When I was feeding (mini) toucans, they were eating toucan pellets, papaya, banana and blueberries mostly. They were given the fruits twice a day.

I would personally be concerned about feeding dog or cat food to most birds since there are different protocols to creating different animal food. I know that toucans can be sensitive to iron so that's also a concern if you aren't feeding a species appropriate diet.