• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Totally Stumped

Tifa

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Debra
My little "Buddy", he was gifted to me several months ago. I'm his third owner and previously received no attention. He had always had feathers kinda every which way, and no sun. So, now he does, however can't figure out the feathers. Now a good diet and he has allowed me to have him on my shoulder, arm, lap and petting once he is in my lap, only 3x so far. Very spirited, active, much attitude, and doesn't pluck feathers. Any suggestions?

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

I am not quite sure what you are actually asking...... can you clarify what it is you are asking for suggestions about?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
When I click on your photo of Buddy it's super grainy... I can't see the irregularity of the feathers well at all.

Tifa

Real Name
Debra
Actually I would like to hear opinions about why the feathers aren't laying down, smooth. Some kinda going in different directions. He doesn't pull them out.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He certainly appears to be plucked. It is possible that he has follicle damage from plucking frequently in the past.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
He does look like he took a few tumbles in the clothes dryer.
Have you tried bathing him with a mist?
That can make a world of difference with feather health.
I also wander like Matt, if he was a plucker before?

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcome2: Debra!

Looks like he has no contour feathers on his body. They are going in different directions because what you can see are the usually covered fluffy down feathers. Do you find any spikes at the bottom of the cage? Wondering if he is plucking them as the pins start to emerge? Or perhaps they are not growing at all for the reason Matthew suggested. Are his wings also plucked? Can he fly?

Good to hear he seems well and happy regardless.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
is he flying at all? It's difficult to tell from the pictures but it looks like he might be clipped?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
If you never see him plucking feathers you might want to consider having tests done for possible feather disease.. what exactly is everything he eats?

Tifa

Real Name
Debra
Thank you for all your replies. The second owner said to me that his feathers had always been this way when she got him. He never received real sunshine, or imatation in his life until now. As far as diet goes he has three different food bowls to choose from daily. One bowl has today, 1. hard boiled egg, pineapple, dried mango, corriander and fennel sprinkles. 2 bowl has a nutrition blend for Cockatiels. 3rd is millet. He also has toys I make, today is made with apple slices & fresh mango. Currently I am Sprouting, Quinoa/Corriander seeds. He loves to eat, so he always has a variety. Usually, more fresh veg. Now about spikes on the cage bottom, yesterday there was a couple. He prunes a lot and there was a few new ones on him. I've had him almost four months and haven't seen plucking, ect. He doesn't fly, and appears to have been clipped sometime prior back, he tries to fly from his door porch to the carpet. He wasn't handled prior, was kinda wild, but we are making progress.
Yes, he was misted once while avoiding his face, took a couple weeks to build his trust back. He isn't used to baths because he won't use his tub so far.

Bowsey

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marina
I hope his feathers improve for you. He’s a little cutie ! Your so special to give him his forever home. Good luck !!