• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Top ten list

Frillbird

Meeting neighbors
HI all, was thinking this might make for a good thread. What’s your top ten list for feeding my birdie. He loves boiled eggs, carrots, seeds, eggfood among others. I’m looking to add other food to his pallet. Any suggestions would be great.thanks much.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Mine like broccoli, kale, strawberries, banana, boiled egg, and of course, millet. :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Think about colors. Yellow and red pepper, pumpkin, squash, seeet potatoes. Also peas, green beans. Grains like quinoa and rice, oats, kamut, teff.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
C’mon everyone! Top Ten!

I’ll start. In order of favorites
Eggs
Broccoli
Kale
Sweet potato
Sprouts, especially wheat
Cucumber
Red pepper
Peas
Carrots
Green beans

I have some canaries. Two are just color type, but I love their color (light orange) . Two are Timbrados.

Frillbird

Meeting neighbors
C’mon everyone! Top Ten!

Eggs
Broccoli
Kale
Sweet potato
Cucumber
Red pepper
Peas
Carrots
Green beans

I have some canaries. Two are just color type, but I love their color (light orange) . Two are Timbrados.
Is it okay to make some sort of salad for the frill?

Frillbird

Meeting neighbors
C’mon everyone! Top Ten!

Eggs
Broccoli
Kale
Sweet potato
Cucumber
Red pepper
Peas
Carrots
Green beans

Hello again, I just made a cucumber/carrot mixture and he loves it. Was thinking maybe add some red pepper to it. How much red pepper is advisable? Peace

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hello again, I just made a cucumber/carrot mixture and he loves it. Was thinking maybe add some red pepper to it. How much red pepper is advisable? Peace
Hi, I would probably only put 1/2 as much pepper as carrots.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Hardboiled eggs!
Broccolini
English Cucumber
Kale
Chard
Carrots
Strawberries
Apples
Bell Peppers
Endives

•I usualy give him half an egg with the eggshell included, and I take out most of the yolk and leave about 1/3. I take that and spread it all over the exposed egg white, so I know he'll at least eat that surface. I used to chop it and mix it (shell and all), but he would sometimes ignore it. So this is my method for now!

•I noticed Peeps would actually eat every one of the brocolini buds. He always goes for the flowers first! While with broccoli, he is more likely to eat the inside of the stalk and doesn't always eat the buds. So I tend to tear open the stalk skin and let him do the rest. Perhaps he prefers broccolini because the bulbs are bigger?

•Whenever I give Peeps cucumbers, he would eat it all and he'd smell of cucumbers the whole day lol :xflove:

20200820_134256.jpg
20200516_111554.jpg

Last edited:

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Think about colors. Yellow and red pepper, pumpkin, squash, seeet potatoes. Also peas, green beans. Grains like quinoa and rice, oats, kamut, teff.
I didn't know canaries can have quinoa! :wideyed:
(I have questions!)

How much do you feed them? And how often?
Actually, how much grain do you usually give them in general?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I didn't know canaries can have quinoa! :wideyed:
(I have questions!)

How much do you feed them? And how often?
Actually, how much grain do you usually give them in general?
Great questions!
Yes, they actually should have grains. It’s good for them.
I mix, hmmm. I guess about 1 part grain To every 5 parts “other”. Or you could just do a meal, we went through a period where they all got a little oatmeal each morning with other stuff on top.

I add the grain foods to the morning chop, with quinoa you can just soak it a couple hours and serve, or you can soak and sprout, or if you prefer you can cook it a little.