• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

TOP’s Parrot Pellet is too bug for my budgie

Jingle

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Silver
Hey there… So, I have been trying to convert my 3 budgies from an all seed diet to TOP’s Parrot Food pellets.

For the last 2 months I have been mixing their seed mixes with the soften pellets with water. And for the last 3 days I have been trying to give them just pellets for their main diet , They have been trying teat them but since I am not softening the pellet with water anymore they seem to be having a hard time actually chewing the pellets as maybe its too hard for them ?? To big?? I have purchased the smallest possible size of their pellets range and I have even crushed them into smaller pieces but my budgie just cant seem to be able to chew them and ended up dropping them all over their cage .
Do note that my budgies are smaller in size compared to regular budgies.( like my finger is literally bigger than their beak :)
94432903-4955-497B-A186-B2F11E6B8F3E.jpeg

5FCF4ACC-39A9-4B41-82FC-225A2FE4277F.jpeg DEA016B2-59BA-4E5B-8074-CF4BF2D5B216.jpeg 5ABC56DA-CB33-405B-B76D-07B8DB2DA264.jpeg

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
My budgies really enjoy their top's. The dish has a lid and they've learned to take out a pellet, balance it on the lid and work on it there. They are quite good though.
Currently mine also eat hagen Tropican and ZuPreem naturals as well as the tops.
I think it's more about learning how to eat them in your case. Give them time, they'll learn. Crushing is a good idea but once they learn how to eat the crumb they'll then have to learn how to handle the full pellet.
Tops are hardly nutritious and aren't fortified. You may do well to look at other brands too.

Jingle

Real Name
Silver
Than
My budgies really enjoy their top's. The dish has a lid and they've learned to take out a pellet, balance it on the lid and work on it there. They are quite good though.
Currently mine also eat hagen Tropican and ZuPreem naturals as well as the tops.
I think it's more about learning how to eat them in your case. Give them time, they'll learn. Crushing is a good idea but once they learn how to eat the crumb they'll then have to learn how to handle the full pellet.
Tops are hardly nutritious and aren't fortified. You may do well to look at other brands too.
Thank you:) for the answers! I will certainly try to give them more time to get used to it. Although, Do you think its necessary to have them on multiple pellet diet ?? like having them eat Top’s, Hagen and Zupreem as before settling on choosing Top’s I have read several reviews and articles regarding ( hagen & Zupreem) ingredients being mainly corn, soybean, wheat , which many have said is filling but not so nutritious. So would it be best to have them on Top’s or a combination of these brands accompanied with fresh chop and millet ofc :)

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I do believe it's best to offer a mix for several reasons. Most mainline pellets do contain soybean corn and wheat but they're also fortified with essential minerals and vitamins (amongst other stuff).
Top's is a different beast but it has it's own faults. It's mainly (95%) alfalfa millet barley and rice, and it's totally unfortified - very low value as a main food. Makes a great diet tool for plump budgies though.
By offering a variety you can cover all bases and change things around as needed.
Also, what will you feed them if you can't get the top's?
And don't forget they still need the seed. (was going to post the infamous quote from Top Gun but we don't need to go there do we?)

Last edited:

Jingle

Real Name
Silver
I do believe it's best to offer a mix for several reasons. Most mainline pellets do contain soybean corn and wheat but they're also fortified with essential minerals and vitamins (amongst other stuff).
Top's is a different beast but it has it's own faults. It's mainly (95%) alfalfa millet barley and rice, and it's totally unfortified - very low value as a main food. Makes a great diet tool for plump budgies though.
By offering a variety you can cover all bases and change things around as needed.
Also, what will you feed them if you can't get the top's?
And don't forget they still need the seed. (was going to post the infamous quote from Top Gun but we don't need to go there do we?)
I see, I will try to look for several other pellets brand that I could get my hands on, but as of now Top’s is by far the most accessible ones .As for seeds, I do include them as a treat or snacks.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Budgies are granivores and are designed to eat seed. It's best to feed 25-35% seed.
Pellets also contain calcium, something budgies can't tolerate in large amounts. Best keeping pellets to 35‰ max and fill the rest of the diet with fresh and cooked veggies.
It won't happen overnight though, we all know that. It's a healthy target to aim for.

Last edited: