• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Too young to convert to pellets?

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
I need some help knowing if I was fed some BS info from a local parrot specialty store. I was told that once a bird is weaned and ready to come home that the bird needs to stay on the food they weaned the bird onto (looks to be a seed mix :shifty:) for a month or until the bad of food is gone. They said the bird needs this higher fat content during this time.

I have never seen anyone on here talk about this and I am suspicious they are trying to get these birds hooked on this crap food. Thoughts?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
They want the bird to eat & maintain weight in its new home. There are lots of changes & new stresses to the birds world & food does not need to be one of them.

Offer the food they are used to but you can introduce all other sorts of food too.

They may ignore pellets but good to try. Sometimes soaking in a fruit juice can make them more interesting.

Month or 2 of seed mix won;t hurt a young bird.

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
They want the bird to eat & maintain weight in its new home. There are lots of changes & new stresses to the birds world & food does not need to be one of them.

Offer the food they are used to but you can introduce all other sorts of food too.

They may ignore pellets but good to try. Sometimes soaking in a fruit juice can make them more interesting.

Month or 2 of seed mix won;t hurt a young bird.
Ok thank you. I get worried about some of the info. they give and I like to double check.