• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Too soon to try a harness?

Yoshi.2020

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello! I have a green cheek conure, Yoshi, who is about 3 1/2 month old and I really want to be able to take him with me everywhere. I got a harness for him but he hates it and shakes his head like mad when I try to put it on! :( I've never had a bird before so I'm thinking maybe it's just too soon to try? Anyone have tips on how to put it on/or other ways to bring him with me places?
Thank you!

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
With a wee bird like a GCC, it'd be easy to bring him out and about in a little carrier or travel cage. A carrier would also be far less stressful for him than having to put up with a harness, which can take a bird months or years to begin to tolerate. You can get backpack-style carriers like the Pak-o-Bird that keep your hands free while still allowing Yoshi to enjoy the great outdoors.

Yoshi.2020

With a wee bird like a GCC, it'd be easy to bring him out and about in a little carrier or travel cage. A carrier would also be far less stressful for him than having to put up with a harness, which can take a bird months or years to begin to tolerate. You can get backpack-style carriers like the Pak-o-Bird that keep your hands free while still allowing Yoshi to enjoy the great outdoors.
Thank yyou for the advise! :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Now is the perfect time to teach him the harness is not going to eat him.
Start slow. Use treats to get him use to it.
First show him while treating.
Let it touch him, treat.
Let him touch it, treat.
Lie a piece over his back or tail, treat.
Hold a treat until he reaches through the head loop (if it has one) treat.
Do you get the idea?
Very small incremental steps to desensitize him.
It can take time and patience, but a baby is perfect to start with, they've not yet cemented in their heads what is and isn't totally bad.
You just have to show him it's safe, fun, and leads to good things.

Yoshi.2020

I'm glad it's not too soon! Thank you so much, we are at a point where he will out his beak through the loop but nothing else and usually won't let me touch it to his back or tail. I think I'm gonna start from the beginning again and just so extra slow ;)
Thanks again!