• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

too much odd information, who to listen to?

Birdie1

Moving in
Real Name
Richard
I'm a first time bird Dad. I got Bird (his name) on May 4, the tree that the nest was in was cut down and he was the only survivor.
I really did not expect him to survive since he was bald and I work, feeding every 15 min was impossible. But here we are 3 months later and we have a happy little friend.
Feeding him cat food soaked in water, with some powdered whole egg mixed in,fresh 3 times a day, fresh water, and lately tomato from the garden which he loves. when we get home around 230 I put his cage on the patio with a 3 inch deep dog water bowl for his baths, he do at least 2 before he comes in after about 4 hours. when he comes back in we open the cage door and he pops out.
he flies around but loves hanging on my arms pecking at the hair on my arms, and then on my head to peck up there.
I have noticed his bill looks a lot longer then pics on line , I read about putting a brick in a sock so he pecks it and naturally wears down his beak. ( I haven't done it cause I don't know if it's true) Should I also be putting long leaves of grass in his cage for him to play with? he does love newspaper to tear up, but I wonder about the ink. he has a mirror which he loves to peck at and sing to, however I read not to put one in. What type of toys should I get? again I read about large pebbles, not to small that he may try to eat but not to big that he can't carry them in his beak. help

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What kind of bird it Bird? That may help :)

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
Thanks for rescuing Bird the starling!
It sounds like you’ve done a great job raising him. I wouldn’t put a mirror in the cage-birds can get very attached to them and develop problems. The brick-in-a-sock idea sounds very clever! I haven’t heard of it myself, but it sounds like it should be okay. I’ll tag @dovemom and @aooratrix for some extra help (I only own parrots so take this info with a pinch of salt ;)).

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

Birdie1

Moving in
Real Name
Richard
Thanks for rescuing Bird the starling!
It sounds like you’ve done a great job raising him. I wouldn’t put a mirror in the cage-birds can get very attached to them and develop problems. The brick-in-a-sock idea sounds very clever! I haven’t heard of it myself, but it sounds like it should be okay. I’ll tag @dovemom and @aooratrix for some extra help (I only own parrots so take this info with a pinch of salt ;)).
Thank you , I just don't want to read something and cause harm from my ignorance.

dovemom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haley
My Olive absolutely loves toys that she can stick her beak into, like balls. I would not recommend the mirror at all, it can cause extreme stress. For wearing down the beak, a rough rock or brick in the cage is a great idea! I would start giving him a mix of fruit and cat food, about 1/4 of the diet being fruit.
good luck!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I just have parrots.