• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Too much cuddles?

Olena

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Olena
Hi again :)

It's been three weeks with Jake. He's an absolutely sweet 6-month-old baby, maybe even too sweet. The main advice everyone gives to a new bird owner is to follow the bird's lead, and THE BIRD WANTS CUDDLES :xflove: He will clutch at my hands every evening (some mornings too) for half an hour or more, rubbing his head against them, demanding scritches, or just curling up and sleeping. And he will protest about any try to move him or my hands.

Usually this takes place inside the cage, as I'm not yet confident that I'd be able to put him in a cage soon. But yesterday I had to pull my hands out with him, because the cuddles took too long. He continued to cuddle in my arms, and then tried to climb up to my shoulder, all eager, and agitated, and not going to let go. And he tried to rub against me violently (almost tearing my clothes and hurting me with a beak accidentally) on his way up. I had to take him off me, hold him tight over his wings (I never do that) to calm him down and put back in the cage. He didn't try to bite, struggle or get back out when put in the cage.

Earlier that day he made some regurgitation-like moves (but haven't repeated them since). Could these cuddles trigger a sexual behaviour in a 6-month-old caique?! Or is it just a normal baby cuddling, squeaking and getting overagitated sometimes? I give him scritches all over the head, nothing more. He loves them, and will always ask for more. So should I follow his lead still? Or should I limit the cuddle time? Or what? :unsure1:

Olena

Real Name
Olena
Aaaand he just did regurgitation-like move again. And I just realized he often lifted up one wing when cuddling.

So, is this sexual already? :blink:

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
The bird wants cuddles because it is a flock animal which is designed to be surrounded by the flock 24/7

You got a single bird. you are now the flock, 24/7/365

enjoy

The piercing screams come next, when the flock abandons the baby to walk out the door without warning

Olena

Real Name
Olena
I know the why. I’m just trying to figure out if I am still a flock or already a mate. :shrug: And if I should go on with tons of cuddles. I enjoy them as well, but I don’t know if they are okay for the bird now. I’m not an experienced flock yet ;)

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Whatever habits you begin now, the bird expects you to continue going forward

You have to teach it to be more self sufficient. Large cage. Loads of toys. Plenty of stimulation like a window position eT

Olena

Real Name
Olena
Yes, that’s exactly what I’m trying to do :) But what about my question? Sexual behaviour in this age? Too much cuddles?

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Whether or not he perceives it as sexual yet, he will eventually and that's going to lead to a lot of frustration.

Olena

Real Name
Olena
That doesn’t answer my question :sad14: I know that some day I’ll have to deal with a hormonal bird. But can it be now, at the age of 6 months? (Yes/No) Could too much cuddles trigger early sexual behavior? (Yes/No) That’s the bare minimum I need to know.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm by no means a Caique person, but many birds, like puppies that hump each other, have sexual movements before actually hitting hormones. I'm just guessing this may be what you're seeing. 6 months does seem way to young for any real hormonal moments.
The Caique people will let you know, just be patient.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Yes, that’s exactly what I’m trying to do :) But what about my question? Sexual behaviour in this age? Too much cuddles?
You are wandering into A Minefield demanding to know exactly when to stop.

Now. STOP NOW

1)The start of sexual beheaviour varies with the bird.. 6 months is not too early.
2) Cuddling is a mammalian beheaviour, not an avian one. This baby bird is not cuddling you. He is playing with you. It is you who are cuddling him
3) if you need cuddles from your pet you need a dog
4) this bird will grow up rapidly and defend itself from mammal cuddles
5) if you handle it right, it will play with you, on its terms not yours, for its lifetime.

Last edited:

KhanKrazy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashley
Six months seem young, but as with any animal, it varies, as has been stated above. Maybe it's not sexual now, but it will eventually turn. And when it does, it won't be nearly as cute. I would work on limiting the "cuddles" as much as possible. There are plenty of ways the two of you can show love/affection without it confusing and frustrating the bird as it matures. :)

Olena

Real Name
Olena
You are wandering into A Minefield demanding to know exactly when to stop.

Now. STOP NOW

1)The start of sexual beheaviour varies with the bird.. 6 months is not too early.
2) Cuddling is a mammalian beheaviour, not an avian one. This baby bird is not cuddling you. He is playing with you. It is you who are cuddling him
3) if you need cuddles from your pet you need a dog
4) this bird will grow up rapidly and defend itself from mammal cuddles
5) if you handle it right, it will play with you, on its terms not yours, for its lifetime.
That’s it, thanks. As a newbie caique owner I don’t need cuddles or a dog, I do need timely advice.

I doubted cuddles in the first place, it’s right in the subject of the thread. I’m glad that I asked and got pointed in the right direction.

Olena

Real Name
Olena
Six months seem young, but as with any animal, it varies, as has been stated above. Maybe it's not sexual now, but it will eventually turn. And when it does, it won't be nearly as cute. I would work on limiting the "cuddles" as much as possible. There are plenty of ways the two of you can show love/affection without it confusing and frustrating the bird as it matures. :)
I guessed right then :cool: It’s really confusing when the bird demands it. And you just don’t know if you’re torturing the bird not giving in to the demand. When in fact you’re already walking through a minefield without DANGER signs. So thanks for the signs!

KhanKrazy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashley
Hey bird ownership is hard girl! It’s like being a first-time parent. Terrified you’re doing something wrong and going to screw your kid up for life. You got a lot of love. I think you’ll do just great :D