• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Too Many Eggs?

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
Recently, my female gouldian started laying eggs. So far she's had three and they've come once every other day. I've been near her cage once when she's layed it and she didn't make any loud noises or show any signs that it was painful for her, and she gets plenty of calcium. I think she's just laying them from her perch because every time I've seen them, they've been broken on the floor, and today, it was broken on the side of her water bowl. I haven't really thought much of it, but then I remembered reading something before that female birds can have some sort of syndrome where the lay too many eggs. My birds are mating all the time, so I'm not really worried, but I was wondering, when should I be concerned, or is it concerning now? This is my first time dealing with any birds and eggs, so I appreciate any thoughts.

@finchly

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi Marisa!
I wouldn’t be too worried yet. The syndrome is usually about bigger birds, but Gouldians do occasionally lay too many eggs. I’m surprised that they are every other day, usually Gouldians lay daily. Anyway. So if she lays more than 6, please consider shortening her daylight hours. You can start with 1/2 hour, try it for a week and maybe go shorter. Other ideas are to rearrange the cage and to back off on rich/wet foods.
Since youre entering fall and shorter daylight hours in VA, she will probably stop soon anyway. :)

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
Hi Marisa!
I wouldn’t be too worried yet. The syndrome is usually about bigger birds, but Gouldians do occasionally lay too many eggs. I’m surprised that they are every other day, usually Gouldians lay daily. Anyway. So if she lays more than 6, please consider shortening her daylight hours. You can start with 1/2 hour, try it for a week and maybe go shorter. Other ideas are to rearrange the cage and to back off on rich/wet foods.
Since youre entering fall and shorter daylight hours in VA, she will probably stop soon anyway. :)
Thank you! I'll keep an eye on it. I'm really surprised I haven't heard her or seen her lay one yet. I always thought it would be a big deal for them

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thank you! I'll keep an eye on it. I'm really surprised I haven't heard her or seen her lay one yet. I always thought it would be a big deal for them
Nope, it’s pretty quick and (to them) completely natural. Watch early in the a.m.