• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Too many almonds each day for training and foraging for an Eclectus?

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
Our eclectus is getting at least 3 almonds a day as treats for training. Almonds are his currency -- I haven't found anything other than cheese that will motivate him. He gets almond slivers for target training. He gets half an almond for getting into his cage at night and for getting onto his play stand in the morning. Without the incentives, he'd refuses to get off of me.
I put slivers into his foraging toys along with some Harrison's and Tops pellets, otherwise he doesn't really touch his foraging toys.

Are three almonds okay?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump8:

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
:bump4: I would think that 3 is ok, but I'm not sure....

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think it depends on the bird and what the rest of their diet is like. If they already get a lot of fats elsewhere, and/or are pretty sedentary, it might be too much. For my Jardine's I don't feed any other seeds and he is underweight, so I feel comfortable feeding him 2 to 3 almonds a day (as long as he works for them ;) )

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
I think it depends on the bird and what the rest of their diet is like. If they already get a lot of fats elsewhere, and/or are pretty sedentary, it might be too much. For my Jardine's I don't feed any other seeds and he is underweight, so I feel comfortable feeding him 2 to 3 almonds a day (as long as he works for them ;) )
Toby is a perch potato. He's flighted but only flies when spooked. I'm working toward recall training but he's reverted to being afraid of hands.
I'd say he gets 60% veggies and 20% fruit. The other 20% is pellets (Tops and Harrisons) and a daily Nutriberry for foraging.

We're making training progress with the almond slivers, but I'll try reducing the quantity he gets on a daily basis.

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
I think those calories would add up quick, IF you birds doesnt do much to burn calories. I give my canaries 24/7 flying time in my indoor bird room 15' x 15'. So gaining weight is not an issue. But if I keep a bird in a cage, it quickly becomes bored and eats all the time. Eventually losing flight skills.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
break up the slivers into 3 pieces. For training, you want something small that they can consume quickly, so you can get quick reps in. I'd save a whole almond for the nighttime bribe to get your bird back in the cage.