• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

tons of Pin feathers? Is this normal?

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
I was just spending time with Millie, and I noticed she has tons of pin feathers. Im confused, because you cant really see them unless you look closely.

She allowed me to hold her, and I gently looked through her feathers and her back is COVERED in them.
I would be happy to help her, but she doesnt really like to be touched, due to the trauma from her old owners children.
Im trying my best, but Ive started to notice she always seems itchy, and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to help her feel a bit better.

Ill try to see if I can get some photos, so you guys can see the extent of the pin feathers.

Millie defininitely has not molted yet, but there are often feathers around my room, sometimes tail feathers and flight feathers.

Im wondering if this should require a vet visit as well, or if its normal?

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Everything you're describing sounds normal.

She should be able to reach any pin feather on her back and elsewhere, but won't be able to reach the ones on her head and neck. Those are a good opportunity for some bonding if she will let you gently flake off the white part, revealing a new father. You'll get a feel for the ones that are ready for help versus those that are still growing and cause pain if manipulated too early (she'll tell you, just go slowly and gently -- move on from a feather that causes her discomfort).

Helping them with their pin feathers is one of my favourite mutually beneficial activities and I find the focus that's required to be somewhat meditative.

Some feedback on the centring of your recent posts -- I find them difficult to read versus the typical left-aligned.

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
Everything you're describing sounds normal.

She should be able to reach any pin feather on her back and elsewhere, but won't be able to reach the ones on her head and neck. Those are a good opportunity for some bonding if she will let you gently flake off the white part, revealing a new father. You'll get a feel for the ones that are ready for help versus those that are still growing and cause pain if manipulated too early (she'll tell you, just go slowly and gently -- move on from a feather that causes her discomfort).

Helping them with their pin feathers is one of my favourite mutually beneficial activities and I find the focus that's required to be somewhat meditative.

Some feedback on the centring of your recent posts -- I find them difficult to read versus the typical left-aligned.
Okay, Ill left align my posts from now on, thank you!

Sometimes she lets me rub her head, so Ill try this when she lets me next time.

I think the video might be a little blurry, but it does look as your describing. The pin feathers are on her neck and head.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Bathing helps too if she's let you know how she likes to partake in that activity :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If you've updated her to a more nutritious diet since bringing her home, that can sometimes spur a lot of pin feathers too. The body is quite opportunistic and will "catch-up" when it has a chance :)

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
If you've updated her to a more nutritious diet since bringing her home, that can sometimes spur a lot of pin feathers too. The body is quite opportunistic and will "catch-up" when it has a chance :)
Never thought about that.
When We got her she was eating macaw fruit flavored pellets, with lts and lots of seed.

I have since changed that diet to smaller veggie blend pellets, an she only has some seed. I usually give seeds as a treat.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Never thought about that.
When We got her she was eating macaw fruit flavored pellets, with lts and lots of seed.

I have since changed that diet to smaller veggie blend pellets, an she only has some seed. I usually give seeds as a treat.
Zupreem Fruit and Veggie pellets offer the same nutrients as each other, and have the same nutrients regardless of the pellet size :) Less seeds is good though! But I wouldn't necessarily assume the previous diet was lacking.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I totally agree. Inca at present having lots of pinnies and i am trying to help him.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A seagrass mat in the cage might help Mojo likes to rub her head on it when she has pinnies. 20221001_115630.jpg

Beebleburb

Strolling the yard
my gcc isnt big on being touched either but sometimes he lets me rub his head with a qtip or rubs his own head with a qtip or a feather or some other random object.

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
I was able to get some of them settled down this weekend, Millie and I played animal crossing and she allowed me to give her scritches. My heart warmed, I was so happy she trusts me to pet her :heart: