• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Tonight I Clipped Two of Ollie's Toenails

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Suddenly noticed how long they were! :eek: We had just done some training so he was full up with cashew nut pieces. Wondered what else I could use as reinforcement? Did some fooling around and got him reacting positively to a silly voice and a shocked expression. :wacky: Would these be reinforcement enough? :wideyed:

I shaped his feet gripping the perch as I approached with the clippers. Each step closer was reinforced by the silly voice and shocked expression :wacky: and I took the clippers away again. After a few times I could touch his longest nail with the clippers. :wacky: Then clip! :wacky: Did the same with the longest toe on the other foot. :wacky: YAY!

When it was done, Ollie asked for a piece of cashew anyway. I thought he deserved one! :dance4:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I used to sneak up on Nerd when the long nail was wrapped around the outside of the cage and I'd snip it quickly before he noticed. He hated having his feet touched, and hated toes on me as well :omg:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You 2 did Awesome! :congrats:

I'm really afraid of doing it to Buddy. I let the vet cut Buddy's toenails because even my old vet made him bleed. I do a little filing w/ an emery board when I have him toweled & as long as it's 2 of us only, he does great. I usually do 1 foots worth of toes a night, then do the 2nd foot the next night.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Ollie is such a good boi! :xflove:

I do a lot of positive reinforcement with super animated facial expressions and voices, especially now that Im trying to lessen the amount of treats they get. My partner thinks there is something wrong with me, as Im probably on the dry side when it comes to human interactions - but when it comes to Luna and Wally, my inner kindergarten teacher comes out :p

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I used to sneak up on Nerd when the long nail was wrapped around the outside of the cage and I'd snip it quickly before he noticed. He hated having his feet touched, and hated toes on me as well :omg:
:lolsign: Well done, Terry - you found a way that worked!!

You 2 did Awesome! :congrats:

I'm really afraid of doing it to Buddy. I let the vet cut Buddy's toenails because even my old vet made him bleed. I do a little filing w/ an emery board when I have him toweled & as long as it's 2 of us only, he does great. I usually do 1 foots worth of toes a night, then do the 2nd foot the next night.
That's brilliant, doing it with an emery board, Rain! I've got to work on Bobbie next. The vet here cut her and Chico's nails once and made them bleed. Never again! Chico's are easy to do, rather like Terry's Nerd... he sticks his feet out of the cage and grabs my fingers, so I tend to clip them then. Bobbie seems to be terrified of clippers and files, so going to have to go slow with her.

Ollie is such a good boi! :xflove:

I do a lot of positive reinforcement with super animated facial expressions and voices, especially now that Im trying to lessen the amount of treats they get. My partner thinks there is something wrong with me, as Im probably on the dry side when it comes to human interactions - but when it comes to Luna and Wally, my inner kindergarten teacher comes out :p
:rofl: Love it, Jennifer!!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
[QUOTE="Fuzzy, post: 3126871, member: 2422" Chico's are easy to do, rather like Terry's Nerd... he sticks his feet out of the cage and grabs my fingers, so I tend to clip them[/QUOTE]

Oh, I wish! If Buddy gets a finger w/ his foot he bites it. I'm not sure why when he hears shake he then bites... Sometimes its gentle & sometimes its :omg:

It's not a big deal to towel him anymore. He's into throwing himself onto his back, I don't know how to explain it other than he like jumps almost. He loves to hang in the hand towel like a hammock while I sing to him. To bad I have to hold & file. I've had the kiddo help but it's seemingly less stressful for him & I to do it. I may only get a toe or 2 done but then tomorrow we have a job. :lol:

Lupen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaitlyn
I’m super paranoid with clippers... always have been with my dogs as well. Only one I can do easily is my cat due to the lighter nails and visible quick. Really want to try a Dremel, it’s what I use on my dogs.. but a conure is a heck of a lot smaller.

Good boy Ollie though :xflove:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Great job both of you!!!

Clippers frighten me a bit too much so I use a nail file...... they do not last very long though as Burt loves to peel the sand paper stuff off the boards. I have a metal file I should try to use but so far his rough sided perch has been doing a great job of keeping the nails just right. He does not spend a lot of time on that perch but it is enough to keep them nails nice :)