• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Toe, toe nail, healing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SallyPax

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shelley and Valerie
Sally's toenail was bitten by a small dog through her cage. It was as if the nail was cut too short and was bleeding. We took her to the vet where she stayed for a day for monitoring, meds, etc. We brought her home and as we slept overnight she ripped out the rest of the nail! It bled a bit more but was stopped by the time we found it. After a call to the vet they said they would just bandage it if we brought her in but if the bleeding stopped just monitor her.
Does anyone know how long it may take for her nail-less toe to heal? She wants to clean the area and we are not letting her pick at the toe for fear it would bleed more. We have a syptyic (sp?) stick in case.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
She will be fine. Sometimes the nail will grow back, sometimes it won't. Just keep it very clean and try to keep her away from it as much as possible. Possibly an e-collar is she won't fight you to much with it. If you have kwik stop on hand, that will stop any bleeding, if any. Good luck. This kind of thing happens more times then you can imagine.

SallyPax

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shelley and Valerie
Thank you Riley's Mom, we are fairly new bird owners and are clueless! (Other than all the research we have done lately)
:)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Cayenne pepper is better at stopping bleeding and also acts as a pain reliever. It's probably a bit sore and as it heals it's going to itch. Use the pepper instead of the styptic.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Last edited:

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
i read that quickstop burns flesh and should only be used on nails. Also will damage eyes if it gets in.
We have used it at work and here at home for situations like this and have never had any problems. I don't think anyone would consider putting it around the eyes.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
We have used it at work and here at home for situations like this and have never had any problems. I don't think anyone would consider putting it around the eyes.
no no i meant if the bird is struggling and some gets in....:D

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Cornstarch or flour, styptic can be injested and can also cause vision problems should your bird scratch her eye with the foot that has it on it.

I would use an E collar only if my bird had some type of surgery.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Totally agree with John on the Cayenne pepper to stop the bleeding and it is a GREAT healer also...I have had birds have the same problems with looseing a toe or even multilation problems and use cayenne to heal...It is a staple with my birds/family....
I NEVER use stepic stick for anything with my birds any more...not worth it and doesn't HELP the problem of healing either...
Just watch your bird..at first they will fool with it but then leave it alone....should be fine...I have NEVER had a bird get an infection from this either in the 40 plus years of having birds.:hug8:

SallyPax

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shelley and Valerie
Thank you everyone for your input. Riley's Mom, I tried to respond to your message but since I have less than 20 posts, it wouldn't allow me. I value what you said in your message.
Thanks!

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Totally agree with John on the Cayenne pepper to stop the bleeding and it is a GREAT healer also...I have had birds have the same problems with looseing a toe or even multilation problems and use cayenne to heal...It is a staple with my birds/family....
I NEVER use stepic stick for anything with my birds any more...not worth it and doesn't HELP the problem of healing either...
Just watch your bird..at first they will fool with it but then leave it alone....should be fine...I have NEVER had a bird get an infection from this either in the 40 plus years of having birds.:hug8:
Did not know this..will be getting some for my kit..THANKYOU John and Billie

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I will add that make sure when you are using the cayenne, avoid using it dry, make a paste. Use it dry AWAY from the bird.
If birds inhale it, it could damage the lungs and do more damage to the lungs than any sore.

Status
Not open for further replies.