• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toe tapping?

Zali_Jo

Moving in
When I woke up this morning I could here tapping and when I walked over the bird cages to check it out, Kirby my Ekkie was tapping both his toes. He's never done this before or really had any issues. I can't see him doing any of the other sympyoms of food allergies?? I can take him to the vet, but the nearest vet is a 2 hour drive and he gets car sick :( so we will only do that if really necessary. Thankyou :)

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi there! Toe tapping is usually due to a dietary overload of protein. So, nuts, legumes and beans are primary culprits. Remove everything immediately to see if things improve.
What are their diets like in general? Ekkis should comprise of a diet rich in vegetables, sprouts, certain grains and some fruit. Little to no seed is good, too.

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Eclectus also can have issues with pellets, particularly colored ones.

Zali_Jo

Moving in
Hi there! Toe tapping is usually due to a dietary overload of protein. So, nuts, legumes and beans are primary culprits. Remove everything immediately to see if things improve.
What are their diets like in general? Ekkis should comprise of a diet rich in vegetables, sprouts, certain grains and some fruit. Little to no seed is good, too.
Thankyou! He did have some egg last night, and has been eating almonds quite a bit as treats. I'm going to stick with just vegetables and fruits for a week or two and see if it goes away. Thankyou so much for your help ♥♥

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Egg is another culprit, so good detective work! Please keep us posted!

ALRAINBOW

Moving in
Real Name
ALFONSO
regarding diet , i have a pair boy and girl nearing 14 months . i have owned birds for most of my life but make no claim in being a vet . in reading on many forums the amount of confusing info is stagering . one forums corn on the cob , eggs , various soaked nuts to help in moulting . next forums no nuts , no eggs ever and the rest . they go to vet 4 times a year and blood work 1 a year . my vet says there is a patch in the back of there throat to look at . im not sure what change it is but its a sure sign of bird health . then of course is eyes and overall activity . mine do scream at times but it seems to be over noise , they hate muisc or even tv . me on the phone too